Amazon's one hour of downtime on Prime Day may have cost it between $72 million and $99 million in lost sales
Sean Gallup/Getty Images
- Amazon's website had consistent issues during Prime Day, the website's biggest sale event of the year.
- Shoppers had issues connecting to the website for over an hour, which caused many to threaten to cancel their Prime subscriptions.
- It's estimated that the website downtime could have cost Amazon between $72 million and $99 million.
- Regardless, Amazon still made a predicted $3.4 billion on Prime Day alone, its biggest Prime Day yet.
The website glitches and downtime that Amazon experienced during its annual Prime Day sale may have cost it more than just some unhappy customers - it's estimated it lost tens of millions of dollars in lost sales.
Shoppers began having issues connecting to Amazon's website and participating in its biggest sale event of the year shortly after it kicked off. Some frustrated customers, unable to access or complete purchases on the website, threatened to cancel their Amazon Prime subscriptions, which were required in order to participate in the sales.
Amazon acknowledged the issues, noting that "many are shopping successfully," and it eventually got things running smoothly.
But the downtime is estimated to have cost Amazon between $72 million and $99 million in lost sales, depending on whom you ask, according to Axios. Digital Commerce 360 estimates the outage cost Amazon $72 million, and Love the Sales' Liam Solomon estimates it cost Amazon up to $99 million.
However, it wasn't all bad news for Amazon, as the company made an estimated $3.4 billion in sales on Prime Day sales alone. Regardless of the losses and server issues, it was the biggest Prime Day so far.
NOW WATCH: We interviewed Pepper - the humanoid robot
- A married couple with a 4-month-old baby were both laid off by Google, while one of them was on parental leave
- A Google employee of 11 years says he and his wife stared at each other in 'disbelief' when they realized they'd both been laid off by the company
- 6 signs that you're in a one-sided relationship and how to find balance
- Sensex, Nifty50 likely to open on a positive note amid positive global cues: Adani Enterprises, Tata Motors, Bajaj Finance among stocks in focus
- 86-year-old removes ‘retirement’ from his dictionary to become a startup founder
- Two Indian-born mathematicians US, Canada get Padma awards
- Equal-weight index: For diversified investments with low volatility
- I wish we move ahead unitedly, PM Modi extends greetings on country's 74th Republic Day