Android's Green Robot Logo Was Inspired By Bathroom Signs
Irina Blok was a designer at Google who gets little recognition for her former team's now-famous creation: the green Android robot logo. She told The New York Times how it was created.
Three years ago, Google told Blok to create a symbol for the company's mobile devices that would resonate with people. Google wanted it to include a robot.
Blok's inspiration came from a interesting, clever place: bathroom doors. The outlines of men and women have become universally recognized, so she mimicked the design for Android.
She ended up with a simple green figure with antennas on top. Her team decided to open source the logo, so others could dress up the green creation any way they wanted.
Here's a reminder of what male and female bathroom signs look like:
And here's what the green Android robot looks like:
- Exploring India's majestic glaciers: 10 frozen wonders
- New fund alert: 'Axis India Manufacturing Fund'
- Anti-collision system KAVACH, Delhi-Kolkata, Delhi-Mumbai corridor to see completion in 2024-25: Vaishnaw
- Top 10 places to visit in India in December
- 10 Amazing health benefits of Aloe Vera