The value of one Bitcoin has surpassed $1,000 on the Mt. Gox exchange.
Demand has surged this month as demand from China picked up, and the digital currency received coverage as it underwent two days of Senate hearings. Ben Bernanke also issued a statement saying digital currencies like Bitcoin "may hold long term promise," though this referred more to the innovations in payment processing they were ushering in - he did not endorse Bitcoin itself, nor did he suggest the future of commerce lay in virtual money.
Yesterday we reported how the value of SecondMarket's Bitcoin Trust surpassed $50 million.
Gold, meanwhile, is at $1,248.
- Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath adds seven new ministers including Jitin Prasada ahead of polls
- Out of all cancer cases, 7.9% were found in children below 14 years, reveals ICMR report
- Union Ministry of Road Transport and Highways to roll out ₹7,270 crore support programme for 14 states
- New potential factor contributing to severity of COVID-19 identified
- Coastal Andhra on alert as 'Gulab' set to make landfall