Delhiites and Visitors, here’s how to use the Air Pollution Checker Safar app
BI India BureauAug 12, 2016, 04.47 PM
Read full story
World Health Organization has marked Delhi as the most polluted globally. In case you’re visiting the city or are a resident, you must be privy to the Capital city’s dangerous air pollution. So bad is the condition that doctors are suggesting chronic patients to leave the city.
At the face of imminent disaster, the Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology (IITM) in Pune launched a web app to check the air quality back in February this year. The app, SAFAR-Air is currently only available only on Android.
Here’s how you can use it to save yourself:
1. The service is available in Pune, Mumbai and Delhi.
2. Choose your nearest locality if yours is not on the list.
3. Here’s what the terms mean:
AQI: Air Quality Index (AQI) is an index for air quality. It tells us how clean or polluted the air really is.
PM: Particulate Matter (PM) is the general term for solids or liquids that pollute the air. The list includes aerosols, smoke, fumes, dust, ash and pollen.
4. The forecast will help you plan your next day better.
5. Share it with your friends and neighbors. Increase overall awareness about Pollution!
Image credit: Indiatimes