Facebook is working on a Twitter-like app that lets publishers send mobile breaking news alerts to the masses
This product, which sounds similar to Twitter, seems to be different than Facebook for Work, an initiative that was announced late last year.
Business Insider has reviewed screenshots of the new product and spoken to a source who has been playing around with the Facebook Business platform. This source says a few companies were chosen by Facebook to pilot the app.
Facebook declined to comment for this story.
Details are still vague, but here's how Facebook's new product, which is currently in early ("alpha") testing, will supposedly work.
- Users will download a new mobile app by Facebook
- Users will then choose partnering publications they want to follow on the app and topics (or "stations" and "substations") they want to receive breaking news alerts about. Facebook has apparently selected only a few companies to launch with.
- When there is breaking news, partnering publications can create mobile notifications that will blast out to all of the followers instantly, as fast as a tweet would.
- The mobile alerts allow for up to 100 characters of text and a url to the news article on that publication's website. One publication can't create a notification for another, for example.
- The blast will go out, and when people click on the link, they'll be taken to the publication's website to read the article.
View all Offers
Amazon Brand - Solimo Trundle Solid Sheesham Wood Single Bed (Teak Finish)₹ 8799₹ 15000Buy On
Amazon Brand - Solimo Alen 5 Seater Fabric LHS L Shape Sofa Set (Blue)₹ 27999₹ 39000Buy On
- 39% OFF
Cello Novelty Big Plastic Shoe Rack with Lock(Brown)₹ 5209₹ 7640Buy On
Amazon Brand - Solimo Medusa Engineered Wood Wardrobe With Mirror wenge finish , 4 Doors₹ 15999₹ 26000Buy On
Amazon Brand - Solimo Cygnus Engineered Wood 2 Door TV Cabinet / TV Entertainment Unit (Brown, Oak )₹ 6899₹ 8290Buy On
Here's a screengrab of what the notification system that's being tested looks like:
- India is expected to make big budget allocation for renewable energy but Modi needs states on board to fight climate change
- OPINION: Received a year-end bonus? What will be the impact of perquisite tax in the new year?
- pi Ventures plans to invest in 25 young startups with its latest $75 million fund
- Best deals on hair straighteners, trimmers and other grooming products on Amazon
- Amazon Republic Day Sale 2022 — Best deals and offers on Echo smart speakers, Fire TV Sticks and more