Inside Microsoft's ambitious plan to build the future of Xbox, from a Netflix-style gaming service with blockbuster games to brand-new consoles
- Microsoft recently revealed the codename of its next Xbox console as Project Scarlett. It's scheduled to launch in holiday 2020.
- Alongside a codename and a release window, we learned a ton of details about what to expect from the next-generation Xbox console.
- The company also gave the press its first chance to try out the Netflix-style game streaming service, Project xCloud.
- We spoke with Xbox leader Phil Spencer immediately following the press event for more details on the future of Xbox.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
When it comes to game consoles, Microsoft's Xbox One has been handily defeated by Sony's PlayStation 4 - the latter boasts nearly 100 million sold, while Microsoft outright stopped reporting Xbox console sales numbers.Estimates put the Xbox One somewhere in the range of 30 to 60 million sold. It's no slouch, but Microsoft's game console isn't likely to catch up.Advertisement
And that's why it's good news for Microsoft that a new Xbox is just over the horizon.
Xbox leader Phil Spencer, above, detailed the next-generation Xbox console - currently codenamed "Project Scarlett" - in Los Angeles last week.Business Insider was there, and we spoke with Spencer directly afterward about the future of Xbox.
Get the latest Microsoft stock price here.
The big push with Xbox, Spencer said, is choice: Microsoft wants to sell you games on a console, through a streaming service, or on a PC.
The next Xbox console — Project Scarlett — will offer cross-generational support for at least some games.Advertisement
The "Netflix of gaming" streaming service, Project xCloud, is likely to have its own library — just like Netflix.
For now, there's only one new Xbox console coming, contrary to rumors of multiple boxes in the works, as well as Spencer's own statements last year.Advertisement
Check out the full reveal of Project Scarlett in this new video from Microsoft:
- Zomato announces 10 days of menstrual leave for all women employees – including transgender people
- Mukesh Ambani is now the world’s fourth-richest person after he beat Louis Vuitton owner Bernard Arnault
- If you have a high risk tolerance — here are a few ‘aggressive’ investment bets to consider
- Karnataka is building a cycling map for Bengaluru by crowdsourcing inputs from city's cyclists
- Indian Medical Association says nearly 200 doctors have lost their lives to COVID-19