Messaging apps have finally caught up to social networks in user numbers and now dominate mobile
The messaging-app era is here. Social networks are old-hat in a world where messaging apps like Facebook Messenger and LINE are increasingly mediating all sorts of digital interactions in our lives.
In fact, messaging apps hit an important milestone at the end of March, according to estimates we prepared at BI intelligence, Business Insider's subscription research service. For the first time, the top four messaging apps combined have just as many users as the top four social networks. (See chart, above.)
- Put together, WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger, WeChat, and Viber have 2.125 billion monthly active users globally (users who accessed the apps at least once in a 30-day period). And these are all mobile users.
- That's compared to the same number, 2.125 billion, users of Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram combined. But these numbers also include millions of computer-only users!
A note on the chart above, and the data underlying it: while there will be audience overlap among these services (in other words, many WhatsApp users will also use Facebook Messenger, and so on) we believe there is actually less overlap among different messaging apps' user bases than there are for social networks. In part that's because apps like WeChat and Viber are geographically restricted. The former is mostly used in China, and the latter is strong in western markets, etc. In any case, the point is: messaging apps' total audience advantage is likely greater than what this chart indicates.
- Cisco says a company 'leader' who encouraged TikTok followers to report strippers to the IRS is no longer employed at the company
- Cryptocurrency investment 101 — here’s how to do your own research (DYOR) and invest in the right digital asset
- Realme GT Neo 2 5G review: Great performance, fine display but camera needs work
- India's farmers protest takes a gruesome turn with a chilling murder at the scene — here’s the sequence of events
- Bizarre! Shubhman Gill was brought back to bat after being declared out
- Ruturaj Gaikwad and Faf du Plessis — amazing data on how the two openers led CSK to IPL 2021 championship
- Budget and safety top criteria for Chennai households during festive season:LocalCircles
- Electric bus makers on a roll as states like Maharashtra and Karnataka send in large orders