Modi to use EU template for Indian ‘smart cities’
The template drafted by the EU is likely to be discussed by 28-nation grouping, country’s largest trading partner, at the India-EU summit later this year in Brussels.
The EU, which is working with Maharashtra on making India’s financial hub-Mumbai-a smart city, will help Indian cities in becoming more sustainable. The EU Ambassador to India Joao Cravinho told ET that member nations would bring expertise, keeping in mind rising population.
Though the EU has been working with the Maharashtra government since 2012 on the smart city project, Cravinho said Modi’s programme gave a new boost to the concept, adding the EU could offer Mumbai’s template to other cities as well and also assist India in heritage conservation.
"Pre-planning and subsequently planning are imperative to make any city liveable and sustainable. The advantage for EU is that it can offer suggestions in a wide array of areas drawing from expertise of Eastern Europe to Central Europe to Western Europe," Cravinho told ET. The EU is scheduled to hold a mega meet on smart city concept for Mumbai this month.
The European states are also willing to share their experience in cleaning of rivers like Rhine, and extend expertise to clean the holy River Ganga and others and suggest ideas to generate revenue from waterways.
Popular on BI
- Indian startup founders celebrate Paytm’s success as company posts first operating profit
- Kim Jong Un abruptly reappears after 36 days out of the spotlight and orders North Korea to 'prepare for war'
- OpenAI makes a ChatGPT-like tool called Codex that can write software. Here's why Codex won't replace developers and will instead create more demand for their skills.
- PM Modi endorses Indian Oil's 'Surya Nutan' solar cooker at India Energy Week! Should you switch?
- Adani Power's Q3 profit plunges 96% to Rs 9 cr as expenses rise
- After an Ather 450X catches fire, the company says its battery is safe — fire was due to a wiring harness issue
- CCTV camera for home with mobile connectivity for 2023
- Best smartwatches under ₹3000