RANKED: The 19 best cities in the world in 2019
- The best cities in the world for 2019 have been ranked in a new list.
- The Time Out Index surveyed 34,000 residents from 48 cities across the globe, as well as travel experts and editors.
- Food, drink, culture, nightlife, community, neighbourhoods, overall happiness, affordability, beauty, and convenience were all considered.
Residents of cities round the world will proudly argue that their hometown is the best place to live.
Meanwhile, others will maintain that there's no such thing as a best city in the world, because it all depends on what you look for in a place.
However, if there's one quantifiable piece of research that could go some way to ranking the planet's cities, it's the Time Out Index survey.
In partnership with Tapestry Research, Time Out asked almost 34,000 anonymous urbanites from across the globe a series of questions about their cities, encompassing food, drink, culture, nightlife, community, neighbourhoods, and overall happiness.
Participants were also asked to rate the affordability, beauty, and convenience of their hometowns.
As well as asking the thousands of locals for their opinions, Time Out's global network of editors and travel experts were also consulted to help create the ranking of 48 cities.
We've pulled together the top 19, ranked in ascending order:
19. Lisbon, Portugal
18. Buenos Aires, Argentina
17. Barcelona, Spain
16. Philadelphia, US
15. Manchester, UK
14. Mexico City, Mexico
13. Las Vegas, US
12. Cape Town, South Africa
11. Madrid, Spain
10. Tokyo, Japan
9. Paris, France
8. Glasgow, Scotland
7. Berlin, Germany
6. Montreal, Canada
5. Los Angeles, US
4. London, UK
3. Chicago, US
2. Melbourne, Australia
1. New York, US
- Best laptops with 11th Gen Intel i5 processors
- Best laptops with 11th Gen Intel i7 processors
- Best gaming laptops with 11th Gen Intel processors
- Best FreeSync monitors for a smooth gaming experience
- Best condenser microphones to record podcasts, songs and more