Snapchat buys Looksery, a 2-year-old startup that lets you Photoshop your face while you video chat
The deal was first flagged by Ain.ua, a Ukrainian publication, which states Snapchat purchased the startup for ~ $150 million. Business Insider has independently confirmed the acquisition.
Looksery is based in San Francisco and it doesn't appear to have raised traditional outside capital. It was started by a Ukrainian team and its CEO is Victor Shaburov. The two year old startup uses facial recognition technology to essentially photoshop video chats and messages in real time. Looksery launched with a Kickstarter campaign in June 2014 and six face filters.
Snapchat may be using the technology already in its new "Lenses" feature which launched Tuesday. Lenses lets people add filters to their selfies so they become animated before they send snaps.
Here's how Snapchat Lenses (examples below) work.
- Family stands to lose nearly $6,000 in airfare and hotel costs after they were bumped from an overbooked cruise ship
- A Trump spokeswoman mocked Pete Buttigieg's military service in a Memorial Day weekend spat with Ron DeSantis
- Flyers are 'skiplagging' to try and save money on flight tickets. Airlines hate it.
- MS Dhoni vs Rohit Sharma vs Hardik Pandya: IPL captaincy record after two years at helm
- Qualcomm India joins WEP to empower 8 women-led startups
- Woman-led edtech unicorn Guild lays off 172 employees
- OnePlus Nord 3 to Realme 11 series, smartphones launching this June in India
- India Pharma & India Medical Device 2023 places India as leading international healthcare hub