Snapchat buys Looksery, a 2-year-old startup that lets you Photoshop your face while you video chat
The deal was first flagged by Ain.ua, a Ukrainian publication, which states Snapchat purchased the startup for ~ $150 million. Business Insider has independently confirmed the acquisition.
Looksery is based in San Francisco and it doesn't appear to have raised traditional outside capital. It was started by a Ukrainian team and its CEO is Victor Shaburov. The two year old startup uses facial recognition technology to essentially photoshop video chats and messages in real time. Looksery launched with a Kickstarter campaign in June 2014 and six face filters.
Snapchat may be using the technology already in its new "Lenses" feature which launched Tuesday. Lenses lets people add filters to their selfies so they become animated before they send snaps.
Here's how Snapchat Lenses (examples below) work.
- New-age tech companies rake in business but are still making losses
- Best weighing machine under ₹500
- Dharmaj Crop Guard IPO subscribed 1.79 times on day 1
- As Sensex, Nifty50 hit record highs, this is what experts are advising investors
- FM concludes week-long consultation meetings for Budget 2023-24