Speaking to Steve Wozniak was like 'taking to Garfunkel about Paul Simon,' Aaron Sorkin says
Kimberly White / REUTERS
The movie "Steve Jobs" delves into the complex relationships the Apple co-founder had with many of those closest to him, including his daughter Lisa and former Apple CEO John Sculley.
But screenwriter Aaron Sorkin said that when he talked to the real people from Jobs' life, one person who stood out was Steve Wozniak.
Better known as Woz, the other Apple founder knew Jobs in high school. But the two couldn't be any more of an odd couple. Jobs was shrewd and a marketing genius and Woz was more into building the computers than building a money-making business.
Sorkin spent some time with Woz before he wrote the script, and though he said he got a lot of the typical Woz flavor - a guy without a care in the world who has no regrets not having Jobs' rockstar persona - he observed, "That's the way Woz is for about 10 minutes."
"Then without much prodding at all you begin to feel like you're talking to Garfunkel who is talking about Paul Simon," Sorkin told Business Insider last weekend before the film premiered at the New York Film Festival. "And that's when I knew there was a point of friction that I absolutely wanted to write about."
Woz, played by Seth Rogen, is portrayed in a similar way in the movie.
But as the film progresses so does Woz's frustration with Jobs (played by Michael Fassbender). Specifically, Woz is frustrated with how his "brother," as he calls Jobs, refuses to publicly recognize the team behind Apple II, which was designed by Woz. At the time it was one of the first successful microcomputer products and it basically paid the bills for Apple in the early days.
This leads to Woz and Jobs having a verbal public argument towards the film's end at the launch of the iMac.
"Steve Jobs" opens in theaters on Friday.
- ISRO announces free online course for students above 10 years – eligibility, how to apply and everything you need to know
- Gautam Adani crashes out of the $100 billion club, but still is 10x richer than he was 2 years back
- Understanding Gautam Adani’s rise: a story on how to generate wealth via hope, equity and of course debt
- Theatres cross pre-pandemic gross revenue collection despite pricey movie tickets
- Former Twitter India head quits his latest metaverse edtech venture
- Realme Pad X tablet with Snapdragon processor launched in China, coming soon to India – check out price, specifications and features
- Amid rumours of Telegram Premium, the messaging app reportedly drops its ‘free forever’ tag line
- Third-party apps connected to your car may be stealing your data