Swachh Internet: Modi Govt To Block Adult Websites
AdvertisementIt might not be an easy task but the
In order to prevent slowing down of Internet due to large scale blocking, the ISPs will be asked to upgrade their systems. The government has asked the Internet and Mobile Association of India to create the list.
Telecom & IT Minister
The Supreme Court, too, is hearing an appeal filed by lawyer Kamlesh Vasvani, requesting the court to ban porn as it leads to "activities like rape, harassment, molestations of women." When the last hearing was held on August 29, the government had said that filtering porn is not practical.
"The problem is that you are veering down a slippery ground if you try to do this, installing filters and all," said Prasanth Sugathan, counsel for the Software Freedom Law Centre. Talking about China, where the ban is strictly imposed, he said that it could be done in China because it has people dedicated to monitor online content.
The BJP has fully supported this move. “Pornography is against the cultural values of the country and a solution needs to be chalked out to block such content,” Arvind Gupta, head of BJP’s IT cell, told Business Insider.
However, this is going to be a stupendous task for the government. According to as estimate by the Indian Computer Emergency Response Team, there are more than 40 million porn websites in the world and most of them are based outside India. Moreover, there are many ways including the use of proxies to get around to blocked websites.
Popular on BI
- Sennheiser Profile USB Streaming Set review: The go-to microphone for those starting their streaming or podcasting journey
- LIC to Wipro and Vodafone Idea: Stocks which hit a new 52-week low today
- Project Tiger to complete 50 years of tiger conservation next month
- Early-stage startups keen on hiring for mid and junior roles, says a FICCI survey
- SEBI recovers dues worth ₹6.57 crore from Sahara Group firms, Subrata Roy & others