Ted Cruz borrowed a famous movie quote to jab Donald Trump for threatening his wife
"She is way out of his league," Cruz told ABC News' George Stephanopoulos on "Good Morning America." "If he wants to get in a character fight he should stick with me."
The line was nearly identical to one used in the 1995 film "The American President."
In a memorable scene, President Andrew Shepard, who was portrayed by Michael Douglas, said the following:
You want a character debate, Bob? You better stick with me, 'cause Sydney Ellen Wade is way out of your league.
Fast forward to 3:03 of the below clip to catch the bit from "The American President:"
It wouldn't be the first time Cruz used a dated pop culture reference in a spat with Trump, if he did indeed lift the line from the movie. He's cited Janet Jackson, the 1970s TV show "Happy Days," and the hit 1980s song "Maniac" in previous dustups.
The latest feud between Trump and Cruz started late Tuesday night, as votes were being tallied in Utah and Arizona, when Trump tweeted the following:
Lyin' Ted Cruz just used a picture of Melania from a G.Q. shoot in his ad. Be careful, Lyin' Ted, or I will spill the beans on your wife!
Lyin' Ted Cruz just used a picture of Melania from a G.Q. shoot in his ad. Be careful, Lyin' Ted, or I will spill the beans on your wife!- Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) March 23, 2016
That tweet came minutes after Trump deleted a similar threatening tweet toward Cruz's wife, Heidi. The ad Trump is referencing came from an anti-Trump super PAC that has no affiliation with Cruz. It showed Trump's wife, who had a successful modeling career, posing in a nude photoshoot for British GQ.
The ad read: "Meet Melania Trump, your next first lady. Or you could support Ted Cruz on Tuesday."
Cruz fired back within minutes:
Trump then shot back at Cruz Wednesday morning, following his "Good Morning America" interview.
"Lyin' Ted Cruz denied that he had anything to do with the G.Q. model photo post of Melania," he tweeted. "That's why we call him Lyin' Ted!"
Watch Cruz's interview on "Good Morning America" below:
- It's never been more clear: companies should give up on back to office and let us all work remotely, permanently
- Amazon is investigating its lawyers for allegedly bribing Indian government officials
- Mossad assassinated Iran's top nuclear scientist using an AI-powered, remote-controlled machine gun, report says
- Durex takes down its latest social media post on the bus scene from Netflix’s Sex Education after internet users call it ‘insensitive’
- Three reasons why this might be a good time to buy Bitcoin
- Sony ZV-E10 vlogging camera with interchangeable lens launched in India
- US, India, Japan, Australia to sign pact for stepping up chip production, reduce dependence on China
- Here’s how to schedule an email in Gmail