The 10 smartest countries based on math and science
The BBC says this is the conclusion of the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD), an economic think tank that outlined its findings in a new report ranking countries' school systems based on students math and science test scores.
The report - which the BBC received early access to - will be formally presented at the World Education Forum in South Korea next week.
Of the 76 countries ranked, the top half is largely dominated by Asian nations, the BBC reports. European countries take up a majority of spots 5 through 30 in the rankings, and the United States sits at the tail end of the top third, tied at 28th with Italy. The bottom half of the rankings feature mostly African and Latin American countries.
The bottom 10? Saudi Arabia at 66th, followed by Colombia, Qatar, Indonesia, Botswana, Peru, Oman, Morocco, Honduras, South Africa, and Ghana in last place.
|2. Hong Kong|
|3. South Korea|
|4. Japan (tie)|
|4. Taiwan (tie)|
|17. New Zealand|
|20. United Kingdom|
|21. Czech Republic|
|28. Italy (tie)|
|28. United States (tie)|
|37. Slovak Republic|
|53. Costa Rica|
|66. Saudi Arabia|
|75. South Africa|
- Beijing says it's 'natural' for the US to 'feel sour' after Boeing loses out to Airbus on $37 billion China plane deal
- Ukraine's drones are becoming increasingly ineffective as Russia ramps up its electronic warfare and air defenses
- Coinbase-backed Indian crypto exchange Vauld suspends trading, deposits and withdrawals amid market downturn
- Hustling towards the target, F1 persists to be 'net-zero carbon' by 2030
- Best tyre inflator for car in India
- Ocean tourism needs to escalate resilience community and requires to transmute into sustainability
- Remember to tip your waiter, there is no more service charge on your bill
- Personal data of over 1 billion Chinese users available for sale on the dark web