'The Interview' Generated Over $15 Million In Online Sales
Sony PicturesSony announced Sunday night that "The Interview" was downloaded or rented online more than 2 million times, generating over $15 million in sales.
After initially pulling the movie from theaters, Sony decided to release it online instead. "The Interview" premiered December 24 on YouTube, Google Play, Xbox Video, and Sony's own site, SeeTheInterview.com.On Sunday, Apple made the movie available for rent or purchase on iTunes.
The movie was also shown in a little over 300 independent movie theaters in the US. The major movie theater chains have refused to show it.A week earlier, Sony canceled the Christmas Day premiere of "The Interview" after five of the top theater chains declined to show the movie following threats by a hacker group called Guardians of Peace (GOP). Sony gave no indication the movie would be released at all until President Obama called Sony's decision a "mistake."
Here's the full announcement from Sony:Sony Pictures Entertainment today announced the total number of online rentals and purchases for The Interview through the first four days of the holiday weekend. Through Saturday, December 27, including all of its online distribution platforms, The Interview has been rented or purchased online more than 2 million times. Total consumer spending through Saturday for The Interview online is over $15 million.
In addition to the strong turnout for its limited theatrical release over the holiday weekend, after only four days, The Interview already ranks as Sony Pictures #1 online film of all time.
The Interview was made available online across the United States at 10AM PST on Christmas Eve to rent in HD on Google Play, YouTube Movies, Microsoft's Xbox Video and the dedicated website www.seetheinterview.com at a price of $5.99. The film was also available for purchase in HD for $14.99. Online distribution was expanded to Canada through Google Play, YouTube Movies, Microsoft's Xbox Video starting later that afternoon.
- SaaS unicorn Druva, which manages data for NASA, Pfizer, and GameStop, raises $147 million; valuation crosses $2 billion
- Allahabad High Court orders complete lockdown in UP's Lucknow, Prayagraj, Kanpur, Varanasi and Gorakhpur districts till April 26
- Punjab government imposes stricter curbs including extension of night curfew timings in surge of COVID-19 cases
- You can now transfer your Facebook posts to WordPress and Blogger
- Delhi Capitals vs Mumbai Indians, the finalists from last season meet in the 13th match of IPL 2021