The 'king of cocaine' once torched $2 million to keep his family warm
As the child of one of the wealthiest drug lords in history, Juan Pablo Escobar, 38, who has since changed his name to Sebastian Marroquin, grew up amid immense luxury and narcotrafficking violence.
In a 2009 interview with Don Juan magazine, Marroquin described what life was like on the run with the "king of cocaine" whose cartel supplied 80% of the world's cocaine and brought in an estimated $420 million a week in revenue.
According to Marroquin, the family was living in a hideout in the Medellín mountainside when Escobar's daughter Manuela became hypothermic.
Escobar decided to burn $2 milllion in cash to keep his family warm.
According to the interview, the paranoid cocaine baron had his family blindfolded and relocated every 48 hours between 15 different hideways throughout Medellín because he didn't wnat them to know where they were.
Once the family arrived at a designated home, they were instructed to inspect the site in fine detail to see if they recognized the area. If they did, they were immediately relocated and the site was eliminated as a future hideout, Don Juan reported.
In the case that Escobar's relatives were captured and tortured, they would not be able to divulge information about the locations of their hideouts simply because they were never allowed to know where they were being kept.
- Indian startup founders celebrate Paytm’s success as company posts first operating profit
- Kim Jong Un abruptly reappears after 36 days out of the spotlight and orders North Korea to 'prepare for war'
- OpenAI makes a ChatGPT-like tool called Codex that can write software. Here's why Codex won't replace developers and will instead create more demand for their skills.
- PM Modi endorses Indian Oil's 'Surya Nutan' solar cooker at India Energy Week! Should you switch?
- Adani Power's Q3 profit plunges 96% to Rs 9 cr as expenses rise
- After an Ather 450X catches fire, the company says its battery is safe — fire was due to a wiring harness issue
- CCTV camera for home with mobile connectivity for 2023
- Best smartwatches under ₹3000