The most notable - and expensive - financial fraud cases of all time
- Financial fraud is a major crime which often comes with heavy prison sentences for those involved.
- Enron, Cendant, and WorldCom are examples of massive companies torn apart by financial fraud and scandal.
- Individuals can commit these crimes as well, like a pastor and a self-proclaimed financial planner who recently defrauded 29 mostly elderly people of $3.4 million, according to an SEC complaint.
- Other cases include fraudsters trying to sell the Eiffel Tower and the Brooklyn Bridge.
Financial fraud is a serious white-collar crime that comes with heavy punishment, but the details of the misdeeds can be stranger than fiction.
Case in point: The SEC recently charged Kirbyjon Caldwell, a pastor based in Houston, and self-described financial planner Greg Smith in a scheme that allegedly involved luring innocent people into investing in old Chinese bonds with no worth, with the promise of large returns. Twenty nine mostly elderly investors were swindled out of $3.4 million.
A DOJ press release states that each defendant could face as many as 30 years in prison, a $1 million fine, and five years of supervised release, among other penalties.
Financial fraud isn't new, and the extent of the crime can vary significantly. In some cases, billions of dollars are lost and companies end up bankrupt. Most cases have at least one person, but often a group of fraudsters, going to prison.
Some cases involve forged documents, while others focus on trying to sell an item somebody doesn't own. Ponzi schemes are also common. Even bitcoin has been the source of fraud.
From corporate scandals, to major forgeries, to individual pyramid schemes, keep reading to see the most notable, and expensive, fraud cases of all time.
Frank Abergnale Jr.
The affair of the diamond necklace
The Hitler diaries
ZZZZ Best scam
James Paul Lewis Jr.
Bitcoin Savings and Trust
Matthew Harriton and Joseph Meli
George C. Parker
- Elizabeth Holmes ordered dinners for Theranos staff but made sure they weren't delivered until after 8 p.m. so they worked late: book
- My twin and I were in separate classrooms in school. Our joint math lesson made me realize how silly that was.
- 2,000 years before 'manscaping' and smooth armpits, the Romans were seriously into hair removal, archaeological findings show
- Best flagship phones in India in 2023
- Small Size Bluetooth speakers in India
- IIT Madras tops Indian institute ranking fifth year in a row – here are the top 10
- Best tablets under ₹5000 in India
- Speedy, small loan market sees Muthoot Microfin make an entry