The virtual reality wars are heating up
According to LinkedIn, Jeff Gattis, the executive director of marketing for Vive, left HTC in October and started at Magic Leap earlier this month. His job title is "Head of Product Marketing."His title would suggest that Magic Leap may be close to launching a product, according to 9to5Google. Advertisement
The move from HTC, an established company, to Magic Leap, which does not yet have a product available, shows that the virtual reality wars are heating up, with competition coming from insurgent startups rather than the industry stalwarts.
Gattis has suggested that Magic Leap's offerings are superior to those of HTC. "I think [Magic Leap] is different [from HTC, Google, Facebook, etc.] and has the potential for some of the use cases being broader," he said.HTC is just one player in the market for virtual reality, however. Facebook spent $2 billion (£1.3 billion) on Oculus, another up-and-coming VR startup that raised $90 million (£60 million), to enter the VR industry. Some of Facebook's other acquisitions include are WhatsApp and Instagram, both of which are now core parts of Facebook's offerings which would suggest the company is serious about VR.
come under fire for not revealing the hardware that powers its VR experience. The company posted a one minute video to its YouTube channel to demo the view that users get but did not reveal the hardware.
Magic Leap currently has no release date for its headset. Google and Samsung both have products on the market while HTC's Vive headset is set to launch in late 2015. Facebook's Oculus has been rolling out the Rift to developers over the past year.
- Elon Musk's SpaceX will launch another 60 Starlink internet satellites into Earth’s orbit tonight
- Farmers protest in India intensify — Kerala MP and Punjab CM to move the Supreme Court, three Punjab BJP leaders resign
- Best smartphones with 256GB of internal storage
- Maharashtra’s restaurants and bars are likely to reopen for dine-in services
- SBI waives processing fee for car, gold and personal loans availed using YONO