This fast-food taco has been compared to a 'wet envelope of cat food' - and Americans eat 554 million a year
The fast-food chain sells 554 million tacos every year, making them the most popular menu item, reported the Wall Street Journal. However, the Journal also noted that many people who gorge themselves on Jack in the Box tacos are also disgusted by their cravings.
"I was like, 'I must have more. This is vile and amazing,'" Heather Johnson told the Journal of her first experience at Jack in the Box.
"Jack in the Box tacos aren't tacos," Mike Primavera wrote on Twitter. "They're more like a wet envelope of cat food."
"You can't look at it too long before you eat it," Primavera told the Journal. "You just kind of have to get it outside of the sleeve and into your mouth."
Scrolling through social media reveals that Johnson and Primavera are far from alone in their mix of love and contempt for Jack in the Box's tacos.
There are lovers (including some celebrity fans):
And there are haters:
And there's perhaps the most honest group - those who are disgusted by their love:
Jack in the Box's tacos are a unique menu item. While most fast-food places that sell burgers, such as McDonald's and Burger King, have a fairly similar menu, Jack in the Box goes far beyond the usual burger-and-fry fare, with options such as egg rolls, stuffed jalapeños, and of course tacos.
Plus, Jack in the Box's tacos are nothing like what you'd find on the menu at other Mexican fast-food chains, like Taco Bell. Instead, the menu item distinguishes itself with American cheese and a preparation technique that involves by being dunked in the fryer, producing a handheld meal that's particularly soggy and greasy if a customer waits too long to eat.
The greasy mess is paying off for Jack in the Box. Last quarter, the company reported same-stores sales increased 2%, which Jack in the Box said beat all "major competitors in the burger category." As the most popular menu items, tacos proved crucial in Jack in the Box's mission to beat the burger business.
Click here to read the Wall Street Journal's dive into exactly what makes Jack in the Box's tacos so gross - yet so successful.
Let me tell you one thing that has positively impacted my life since moving to STL: Jack in The Box (especially tacos).- kmuhr (@kalhumphrey) December 23, 2016
#PostAnUnpopularFoodOpinion jack in the box tacos need to be banned- boo you whore (@meanasshitt) December 24, 2016
Jack in the Box tacos are disgusting and fake af for calling them tacos. If I dont eat them sober, I wont eat them high or drunk. DONT @ ME- Lyss (@_alyssapadilla_) December 23, 2016
The feeling Jack in the box tacos give me is so conflicting. Like I can't describe how I feel bc they're so awful but taste truly amazing.- Ally Dagnino (@allyfagnino) December 21, 2016
- Donald Trump supporters baffled and divided over his claim that Republicans won't vote in 2022 or 2024
- Realme GT Neo 2 5G review: Great performance, fine display but camera needs work
- Marjorie Taylor Greene has Zoom call silenced after 'irrelevant' impeachment testimony during hearing of Lt. Col. Stuart Scheller
- G7 leaders favour CBDCs provided they ‘support and do no harm’ to central banks
- India's farmers protest takes a gruesome turn with a chilling murder at the scene — here’s the sequence of events
- Bizarre! Shubhman Gill was brought back to bat after being declared out
- Ruturaj Gaikwad and Faf du Plessis — amazing data on how the two openers led CSK to IPL 2021 championship
- Budget and safety top criteria for Chennai households during festive season:LocalCircles
- India T20 World cup Jersey
- Photo Editors Apps
- Advantage Club Hiring
- Best Indian Companies
- Dussehra Messages
- Punit Goenka
- Motorola Edge 20 Mobile
- Google TV stick vs Amazon Fire TV stick
- Oneplus 9rt smartphone
- Samsung Galaxy M52 review
- Nykaa IPO
- India Coal Crisis
- iPhone 13 vs iPhone 13 mini
- IRCTC Share price
- Maximum Sixes
- Tata Sons