A 2009 song skyrocketed in popularity after being featured in a viral tweet blasting Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez for dancing
- On Thursday, a viral tweet criticized now-Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez for dancing.
- The tweet included a clip of a 2010 video she made with friends, dancing to "Lisztomania" by the French band Phoenix, a song popular when she was in college.
- The 2009 song has seen a surge in popularity on Spotify, the company has confirmed to Business Insider.
A viral video is breathing new life into a decade-old pop song.
On Thursday, a viral tweet criticised now-Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez for dancing. It tried to embarrass her by displaying her indiscriminate dancing and featured an edited clip from a video she made in college as a student at Boston University.
Both the tweet and the account that made it are now deleted, but its legacy lives on. Originally, the video was part of a meme dancing to Lisztomania by the French band Phoenix, a song popular when she was in college in 2010 and filmed the video. It was produced by the student union, which Ocasio was involved in, and was supposed to be emulating the dance scene from the 1985 film "The Breakfast Club."
Now, the hit 2009 song has seen a surge in popularity, according to Spotify's metrics. The song saw an increase in streams of 116% from 8 a.m. to 9 a.m. Eastern Time on Friday over the same hour the previous week, the company told Business Insider. A representative for Spotify said the figure represented a "significant increase" in streams.
Ocasio seems to be taking the criticism in stride. On Friday afternoon, she tweeted a video of herself dancing outside her new congressional office.
"I hear the GOP thinks women dancing are scandalous," she tweeted. "Wait till they find out Congresswomen dance too!"
See the full video of college-aged Ocasio dancing below:
I hear the GOP thinks women dancing are scandalous.- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (@AOC) January 4, 2019
Wait till they find out Congresswomen dance too!
Have a great weekend everyone :) pic.twitter.com/9y6ALOw4F6
- Meet LignoSat, the world’s first wooden satellite that is set to orbit the Earth by 2024!
- Bajaj Chetak Urbane electric scooter with 113 km range to hit the roads starting ₹1.15 lk
- Cyclone 'Michaung' alert in the Tirupati, Nellore, Prakasam, Bapatla, Krishna, West Godavari, Konaseema, and Kakinada of AP Districts
- Gold surges Rs 450 to hit record high of Rs 64,300 per 10 gm
- 7 best places to visit in Amritsar on your next trip