A 3-Year-Old Girl Walked More Than A Mile For Help After Her Mother Was Murdered
Sgt. Kristin Thompson of the Lake County Sheriff's Department described the little girl as "kind of heroic."
"That's quite a distance for a 3-year-old," Thompson said.
The little girl knew the route to her grandmother's house because she had walked it with her mother, he said.
The sheriff's department named Johnny Lashawn Shipman, 36, as the suspect and issued a warrant for his arrest in the death of Kristi Lynne Delaney, 26, of Mascotte, 40 miles west of Orlando.
Delaney filed child support and paternity claims against Shipman in 2011 and a petition for protection from him in 2012, according to Lake County court records.
Thompson said Shipman did not live in the home with Delaney and her daughter. Thompson would not disclose exactly what the girl saw or told investigators, or whether she identified the assailant as her father.
"She went down to her grandmother's and said she couldn't get her mom to wake up," Thompson said.
Shipman has an arrest record that includes battery, burglary and drug charges since 1995, according to court records.
(Editing by Kevin Gray and Ken Wills)
- PM Modi shares image of tailor on the street using Paytm, calls it a common sight across India
- Adani Enterprises’ ₹20,000 crore FPO fully subscribed on the last day
- I was working toward a promotion at Amazon when my manager started emailing me about needing coaching. Now I'm worried about losing my job.
- All major automakers except Bajaj Auto expected to register growth in January say brokerages
- India's core sector output rises by 7.4 per cent in December
- Indian start-ups are looking at reverse flipping says Economic Survey
- This cheesecake startup refused to give up a slice of its company for a lower valuation on Shark Tank India
- SC suggest Nirav Modi's bro-in-law to give letter of authority to CBI to access offshore bank accounts