A former Google and Apple exec shares the tactic she uses to feel better about having to let someone go
Kim Scott is all too familiar with this issue. She's a former Apple and Google exec and CEO coach who's worked with former Twitter CEO Dick Costolo and Dropbox CEO Drew Houston.
"I don't know anyone who doesn't wake up with an upset stomach on a day you have to fire somebody," Scott told Business Insider when she visited our office in March.
That said, "the most important thing never to do when firing someone is to go in with the mentality that you're firing them because they suck."
Obviously, no one wants to hear that they're a horrible employee. But just as important, you don't want to tell someone that they're a horrible employee. So don't.
"Go in with a mentality that this is a great person, this is a great job, but this is a terrible job for that person," Scott said.
She went on: "One thing that I have found really helpful is to go into the conversation with a sense of compassion - to think about a job that I've sucked at, to think about a job that I've hated, and what a relief it was not to be doing that job anymore."
Scott offered another - somewhat surprising - tip to make the process easier on everyone.
"I try to imagine a job where this person would really flourish. And, in fact, if I can, I'll even make an introduction to that person to help them find a job where they can really be great."
Scott's tips go back to the heart of radical candor, a leadership style based on challenging your employees directly while at the same time caring for them personally. You're not hiding the fact that you're firing them, but you're doing it like a human being.
One thing to avoid when letting someone go? Scott said: "This is not the moment to be giving tons and tons and tons of feedback. Because that makes the conversation backward-looking. You want to get the person and yourself moving forward to a better place."
- People are posting parody photos of their bedside table in response to Elon Musk's tweet which suggested the Twitter CEO kept two guns by his bed
- Elon Musk calls on all Twitter designers, engineers doing software to sit on his floor of HQ for 'dense and intense' work
- Sensex, Nifty50 open higher as US Fed signals smaller rate hikes – TCS, Apollo Hospitals, Zomato among stocks in focus
- Here are the best apps and games on Google Play in India 2022
- Top 10 companies with the highest net profit in India as per Hurun 2022 list
- Rupee gains 8 paise to close at 81.22 against US dollar
- BYJU’s, Zomato, Dream11 among India’s most valuable PE/VC-funded companies as per Hurun
- GST revenues rose by 11% to ₹1.46 lakh crore in November: Finance Ministry
- Dharmaj Crop IPO
- Reliance Jio
- Whatsapp tips
- Air India crew guidelines
- Mukesh Ambani
- tata Consumer
- Highest Revenue companies
- New Cars in December 2022
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- VerSe Innovation Company
- Top Valuable unlisted Company
- Tata Tiago cng vs Alto k10 cng
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World