A look inside the Queen's 6 lavish royal residences
WPA Pool / Pool / Getty
According to the Sunday Times Rich List, the Queen has an overall fortune of around £340 million. We revealed last week that a lot of this is spent maintaining her various properties, as well as other important things like helicopters.
She also owns land. Lots of land. The Queen is the owner of the Duchy of Lancaster private estate, which includes swathes of central London and much of rural England and Wales.
What's more, she's the legal owner of the Crown Estate, which is now a private company, but still pays the Queen 15% of its profits via the Treasury. The Crown Estate owns almost all of Regent Street and the entirity of the UK seabed up to about 12 miles off shore - the company is valued at around £11.5 billion.
In short, the Queen "owns" immense amounts of property, but she couldn't sell most of it if she wanted to.
Of her entire portfolio, her prime properties are split between four "official residences" and two privately-owned residences - passed down from her father, George VI. It's in these six opulent houses that the Queen spends almost all of her time.
- PM Modi shares image of tailor on the street using Paytm, calls it a common sight across India
- Adani Enterprises’ ₹20,000 crore FPO fully subscribed on the last day
- I was working toward a promotion at Amazon when my manager started emailing me about needing coaching. Now I'm worried about losing my job.
- All major automakers except Bajaj Auto expected to register growth in January say brokerages
- India's core sector output rises by 7.4 per cent in December
- Indian start-ups are looking at reverse flipping says Economic Survey
- This cheesecake startup refused to give up a slice of its company for a lower valuation on Shark Tank India
- SC suggest Nirav Modi's bro-in-law to give letter of authority to CBI to access offshore bank accounts