A new poll shows nearly 50% of Democratic voters believe Franken should resign
Joe Raedle/Getty Images
- Half of Democrats believe Sen. Al Franken should resign.
- Franken has rebuffed calls to leave office, instead agreeing to an ethics investigation in the Senate amid allegations of sexual harassment.
Nearly half of all Democratic voters said Sen. Al Franken should step aside following allegations that he groped two women without their consent.
A Politico/Morning Consult poll released Tuesday showed that 49% of Democratic registered voters said the Minnesota senator should resign, just 1% point below the 50% of registered voters overall who said Franken should resign.
The poll showed that 25% of Democrats said he should not resign, and 67% of Democrats said he should be subject to an official Senate ethics investigation.
The poll surveyed 2,586 registered voters between November 16 and 19, and had a margin of error of plus or minus two percentage points.
The Minnesota senator has apologized for his actions, but he has rebuffed calls to step aside, agreeing instead to participate in an official ethics investigation into his behavior, which was partially captured in a widely-circulated photograph of him reaching for a woman's chest while she was asleep.
While prominent Democrats have dodged questions on whether Franken should leave office, many left-leaning media outlets and writers have increasingly called on him to resign.
- Seeking nominations for the 2024 rising stars of adtech
- Eli Lilly stock will surge 29% over the next year with its weight-loss drug on pace to do $60 billion in sales by 2030, BofA says
- A millennial who quit her office job to live in a school bus explains what her lifestyle costs and how she makes 6 figures freelancing
- Mukka Proteins IPO allotment – How to check allotment, GMP, listing date and more
- Know what are the 7 signs and symptoms of high cholesterol in your body
- Tata Motors to demerge biz into two separate listed companies
- Best drinks for constipation relief and digestive ease
- 10 Reasons why you should opt for plant-based diet