Airline passengers are furious after government shutdown sparks hundreds of flight delays
Brynn Anderson/Associated Press
Brynn Anderson/Associated Press
- The federal government shutdown has resulted in delays at major US airports due to a shortage of air-traffic controllers at the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA).
- The shortages have affected travelers coming to or from Atlanta, New York City, and Philadelphia.
- Twitter users have expressed frustration at Friday's delays and the ongoing shutdown.
The federal government shutdown has resulted in delays at major US airports due to a shortage of air-traffic controllers at the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA).The shortages have affected travelers coming to or from Atlanta, New York City, Philadelphia, and D.C.
The FAA said in a statement that there is a "slight increase" in the number of workers calling out sick at two facilities: Washington Air Route Traffic Control Center, in Leesburg, Virginia, and Jacksonville Air Route Traffic Control Center in Hillard, Florida. The facilities are responsible for coordinating air traffic along much of the East Coast."We are mitigating the impact by augmenting staffing, rerouting traffic, and increasing spacing between aircraft when needed," the agency said.
The delays come as the federal government shutdown, the longest in US history, has reached its 35th day. Over 800,000 federal workers missed their second consecutive paycheck on Friday, though some employees that perform what are classified as essential functions, like managing air traffic and performing security checks at airports, have been required to work without pay during the shutdown.Twitter users have expressed frustration at Friday's delays and the ongoing shutdown. Here's what they're saying.
Got a ride to airport by a furloughed worker driving to make ends meat. Then my flights delayed bc of shutdown. Just another day in America.- David Grann (@DavidGrann) January 25, 2019
As I sit in LaGuardia trying to get to Chicago with my flight delayed over an hour this KILLS me #EndTheShutdownNow- Andy (@p0rfavor) January 25, 2019
Donald Trumps government shutdown has my dads flight delayed from lack of staff and i cant believe this is actually America rn- Jessie Rae (@JessieJ_rae) January 25, 2019
hey @realDonaldTrump my brother's flight was delayed because you're a big whiny baby. could you maybe try to not be a big whiny baby?- Dave Goldhahn (@davegoldhahn) January 25, 2019
my flight home is delayed bc of the fucking gov't shutdown this is all ur fault @realDonaldTrump fuck u and ur dumbass wall- cailin (@cccailin) January 25, 2019
Ayyyy my flight is OMEGA delayed- Ali (@SadcoAli) January 25, 2019
Thanks to the shut down
Pussy boy @realDonalTrunp making my flight delayed- RJ THE GOAT (@RONNYJLISTENUP) January 25, 2019
Building a "wall" childish asf
Sitting on runway delayed, flight will take half hour longer because of longer/different route, and MY TV DOESN'T WORK on the Jet Blue. The shutdown is real, bruh. ♂️ pic.twitter.com/AJTJOrihz6- Bucci Mane (@Buccigross) January 25, 2019
- Simply put, Airtel says all it now needs is spectrum to deliver 5G services at a speed of up to 900 Mbps
- India’s Prime Minister Narendra Modi may just have signalled a big allocation for defence equipment manufacturing, 3 days before the budget
- Haryana government extends suspension of mobile internet services in Sonipat, Jhajjar and Palwal till Friday
- Sourav Ganguly undergoes fresh angioplasty, two more stents implanted
- Google India to simplify Play Store policies for games people play on apps