Akshay Kumar-starrer Mission Mangal has covered a fifth of its budget on the first day — and it has 3 more days in the opening weekend
- The movie based on India’s space mission to Mars was made at a budget of ₹xx crore
- Akshay Kumar's Mission Mangal crossed ₹29 crore within 24 hours of release
- It is the highest collection among all the Akshay Kumar's films.
- Mission Mangal is based on the all-women team that led India's mission to Mars.
AdvertisementAkshay Kumar-starrer Mission Mangal crossed ₹29 crore within 24 hours of release-- that’s over 20% of the movie’s total budget of ₹140 crore.
The movie, based on India’s space mission to Mars, has been released on a long weekend-- owing to the holiday on August 15 for Independence Day-- and that is expected to boost collections. Mission Mangal’s show witnessed an overall occupancy of 50-55% across India, reported Business Today.
It is the highest collection among all the Akshay Kumar's films, reported Hindustan Times. Before this, Kumar's Gold collected nearly ₹23.67 crore nett on its first day.
Akshay Kumar and #IndependenceDay releases... Day 1 biz... ⭐ 2016: #Rustom ₹ 14.11 cr [Fri; working day] ⭐ 2017:… https://t.co/U5ROPNiXl9— taran adarsh (@taran_adarsh) 1565933160000
The movie starring Akshay Kumar as the lead has a predominantly female star cast including
Mission Mangal has showcased the role that women had to play in the mission’s success.
However, while it’s true that women had a lot of key contributions to Mangalyaan, the mission wasn’t as dominated by women as Mission Mangal’s trailer would have you believe. At the time of the launch, the control room had as many as 14 senior male scientists present and only 3 female scientists.
However, the movie has opened with some great reviews. According to the film critic Taran Adarsh, Mission Mangal is ‘one of the best films of 2019’. Devansh Sharma from the First Post writes, India should be proud of this inspiring film
John Abraham starrer Batla House that was released alongside Mission Mangal also witnessed a good opening at the box office with ₹13-15 crore.
Mangalyaan was not as female centric as Mission Mangal would have you believe
Popular on BI
- Most secluded places in India to visit in 2023
- Relieve constipation naturally with Indian foods: A guide to digestive health
- Less than half of JSW Infrastructure’s IPO subscribed on day 1
- Big unlisted companies may come under tighter regulatory norms
- IndianOil unveils India's first green hydrogen-run bus that emits just water