Alaska Airlines had an outage in Seattle that caused flights to be halted across the country
Ted S. Warren/AP
- Alaska Airlines had an outage in Seattle on Sunday morning that left flights grounded.
- The flights still showed as on time, leaving passengers confused about whether flights had been canceled.
- Some passengers were headed to a big consumer electronics conference called CES in Las Vegas, and others were headed to JPMorgan's healthcare conference in San Francisco.
Alaska Airlines halted flights on Sunday morning, leaving customers stuck at the airport, after a national outage that began at 3:30 a.m. Pacific time and ended at 5:15 a.m.
The airline stopped some customers from boarding flights, and gate agents weren't sure when flights would resume.
A representative for Alaska Airlines told Business Insider that the outage took place in the airline's Seattle office, impacting the operations system and causing the airline to ground flights.
The representative on Sunday morning said five flights were canceled and 27 were delayed because of the outage.
The outage likely occurred because of high winds in Seattle.
The delays and cancellations are affecting travelers heading to the annual Consumer Electrics Show in Las Vegas and the JPMorgan Healthcare conference in San Francisco, including Business Insider reporters.
Hey @AlaskaAir - you have a group of people sitting here, headed to Vegas for @CES and your computers go down... really?!- Charlie Brugnolotti (@Charlie_B_JR) January 6, 2019
Power outages in Seattle due to a severe windstorm have grounded @AlaskaAir flights, including mine from JFK to SFO for #JPM19.- Alaric DeArment (@biotechvisigoth) January 6, 2019
What's going on @AlaskaAir? I just praised you and now it's been 2hrs of delay and we're being told flight 1129 from PHL still can't leave because your entire system is down?!- Lyndsay Kancher (@lyndsayaissance) January 6, 2019
- Financial inclusion made easy for India’s small merchants with Paytm’s pioneering QR codes and Soundbox
- A 24-year-old stock trader who made over $8 million in 2 years shares the 4 indicators he uses as his guides to buy and sell
- My fiancé and I picked out my engagement ring together before he proposed, and I don't regret missing out on the surprise
- Two Mukesh Ambani-owned companies are among India’s top 5 valuable brands
- TVS, Ather, Ola hike prices of electric two-wheelers as new subsidy norms kick in
- IKIO Lighting sets IPO price band at ₹270-285/share
- Royal Enfield sales rise 22% in May at 77,461 units
- GST collection rises 12% to ₹1.57 lakh crore in May