Amazon Prime Video is the best streaming service if you're a movie buff, but Netflix isn't far behind
- Business Insider used data from the streaming search engine Reelgood to compare the five major streaming platforms.
- Amazon Prime Video has the largest movie library by far.
- It also has the most "high quality" movies, which Reelgood defined as any movie with a 7.5 rating or higher on IMDb.
- But Netflix isn't far behind - Prime Video has 125 high quality movies, while Netflix has 124.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Audiences have more TV viewing options than ever before in the streaming era, and choosing what to spend your money on can be a daunting task.
For movie buffs, there might be a clear answer.
Streaming search engine Reelgood provided Business Insider data on five streaming services for comparison: Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, HBO, and Showtime. When it came to the movies the services offer, Prime Video came out ahead.
Prime Video currently has the largest movie catalog of any of the services by far, with 14,210 available movies. The next biggest is Netflix, with 3,803 movies.
Prime Video also has the most "high quality" movies. Reelgood defined a high quality movie as any with a 7.5 rating or higher on IMDb. Prime Video came out on top with 125 high quality movies. However, it was virtually tied with Netflix, which had 124.
The others had much lower counts. Here are the numbers for high quality movies:
- Prime Video: 125
- Netflix: 124
- Hulu: 52
- HBO: 32
- Showtime: 32
A handful of Prime Video's movies are Prime Originals, movies that Amazon Studios has developed or acquired.
Not all of them have been hits, but others have received plenty of recognition. Some of Amazon's best original movies include "Manchester by the Sea," which was nominated for the best picture Oscar and won Casey Affleck a best actor Oscar; "The Big Sick," which was nominated for a screenplay Oscar; and "Cold War," which was nominated for three Oscars this year, including best foreign-language film.
But movies are only part of the picture and Prime Video falls behind when it comes to quality TV.
Read our full breakdown on every major streaming service and how they compare.
- Financial inclusion made easy for India’s small merchants with Paytm’s pioneering QR codes and Soundbox
- With Rupay Credit Card on UPI, mobile payments pioneer Paytm deepens its leadership in UPI
- A 24-year-old stock trader who made over $8 million in 2 years shares the 4 indicators he uses as his guides to buy and sell
- Top 5 places to visit in Darjeeling
- Delhi Metro launches WhatsApp-based ticketing service on Airport Line
- Fintech unicorn Taxfix lays off 120 employees to cut costs
- Not found sufficient evidence to arrest Brij Bhushan: Delhi Police
- Best Agrolife's Revenue Crosses ₹1,700 Cr., EBITDA Margin Reaches 18%, and 30% Dividend Recommended in FY23