Amazon rings up India’s fourth largest grocery chain ‘More’ with co-investor Samara Capital
- The deal marks the internet giant’s entry into the food retail business in
More’ will help Amazonset up an offline presence in India similar to its strategy in the US.
- More is the fourth-largest supermarket chain in India behind Reliance Retail Ltd,
Future Groupand DMart.
The deal is valued at about ₹42 billion ($580 million), according to several media reports. Samara will own the majority stake in the entity set up to buy Aditya Birla Retail while Amazon will own the rest.
ABRL, which launched its food and retail business in 2007, operates over 523 More-branded supermarkets and 20 hypermarkets. It is the fourth-largest supermarket chain in India behind Reliance Retail Ltd, Future Group and DMart.
The deal marks Amazon’s plans to make a foray into its food retail business in India, helping it set up an offline presence similar to its strategy in the US where it has acquired grocery chain Whole Foods.
This deal will also help it compete with US mass retail giant Walmart Inc. which recently bought e-commerce company Flipkart Inc. for $16 billion, and with Chinese e-commerce giant Alibaba, which is said to be considering a $5 billion (₹350 billion) investment into a joint venture with Reliance Retail, India’s largest retailer in terms of sales.
Amazon has said to have set aside $500 million for its India grocery expansion plans. It has already invested $5 billion into India, its fastest growing market.
Amazon along with other large retailers including Alibaba and Walmart have been adopting a hybrid business model of offline and online to compete.
Popular on BI
- Elon Musk said Twitter will start showing users how many people have seen their tweets, and got Jack Dorsey's approval
- Elon Musk reportedly told workers at his brain-chip startup to imagine they had bombs strapped to their heads to make them work faster
- A janitor laid off at Twitter's headquarters said one of Elon Musk's team members told him he'd be replaced by robots
- Adani Transmission to Deepak Nitrate, here are the fastest wealth creators
- Best mattress in India
- Rupee gains 10 paise to close at 82.28 against US dollar
- Sensex, Nifty50 log declines to close the week in red – IT, PSU banks and energy stocks drag
- Over 1.83 lakh Indians renounced their citizenship till October says external affairs ministry