Clash of the titans! It’s Amazon vs. Microsoft in Indian public cloud market
AdvertisementThere is an open battle the Indian public cloud market, and two giants, viz. Microsoft and Amazon are fighting it so that both can claim dominance in what is one of the world’s fastest growing markets.
Both have brought big guns to India, to run enterprise sales, and are also depending on aggressive advertising, like running full-page ads, so that they can counter each other's data centre launches, in an attempt to poach clients.
Also read: Microsoft's new sales chief talks about working with Boeing, competing with Amazon, and...butter
Companies use public clouds to buy computing and storage power to eliminate the need of data centres.
Also called infrastructure-asa-service, it was the e-commerce company Amazon that created the business, with its Amazon Web Services (AWS) division now getting on $10 billion in revenue this year.
Microsoft, even though entered late into this space with Azure, has said that its public cloud revenue has doubled this year, without divulging into details.
Also read: Microsoft just scrapped a key part of its secret weapon in the cloud wars with Amazon and Google
Talking of India as a market for public cloud space, it is growing at over 30%, and Gartner expects that public cloud services in the country will reach $1.26 billion in 2016. Therefore, any company which grabs a lead here would get a substantial edge over others.
"We believe this is the beginning of the Public Cloud war in India and expect it to become more intense in FY17 and FY18," Anshoo Nandwani, principal analyst at IT advisory firm Greyhound Research, told ET.
Popular on BI
- We asked ChatGPT who the greatest athlete of all time is and it did not go well for LeBron James
- A man kept the same pair of contact lenses in for 3 years, causing permanent astigmatism and buildup behind his eyelids. His doctor said he's not responsible enough to wear contacts.
- Clarence Thomas wrote a scathing, nearly 50-page dissent about why the Supreme Court should have gutted voting rights
- Heatwave grips India - Bihar, West Bengal, Jharkhand to record highest temperature
- Apple Arcade looks Stronger Than Ever - New & Exciting Games Announced
- What is the best date to set for your SIPs – Beginning, end, or middle of the month?
- Asus ROG Flow Z13 review – a premium gaming tablet
- Must do activities on your visit to Mahabaleshwar