Americans spend most of their money on only 3 things
Some people believe the surefire way to squirrel away enough money for a solid retirement is to cut out small but frequent expenses. Starbucks, quite commonly, is the whipping boy in this line of reasoning: Eliminate that sinful $5 daily coffee and you're on your way to financial freedom.
These daily expenses can add up, but if you're really trying to slash your costs and get serious about saving, you'd do better to zero in on the three areas where Americans spend the bulk of their money: housing, transportation, and food. As Tony Robbins has written, most people don't consider the most obvious way to save money: move.
Combined, these three categories account for about $35,000 - or 62% - of the $56,000 households spend on average each year, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Skye Gould/Business Insider
With food, you can make some pretty immediate changes to trim costs, like shopping in bulk and cooking at home. You could kiss your coffee habit goodbye, but trading daily visits to Chipotle for home-cooked meals will likely stretch your dollar a lot further.
Housing and transportation can be tougher, considering the purchase or lease of a car or a house is a longer-term commitment. It's tempting to try and keep up with your peers, but buying or renting something larger or more luxurious than you actually need is quick way to bust your budget and leave you with minimal financial flexibility.
Some sober analysis upfront about what you can actually afford will liberate you from having to penny-pinch everywhere else in your life.
Check out the chart above to see how your spending compares with the rest of America.
- Govt approves PLI scheme for making drones with outlay of Rs 120 cr, comes out with norms
- Apple transportation through drones to become reality in tribal Kinnaur district of HP
- Researchers develop device that uses sound waves to separate blood-based nanoparticles
- 5 Bihar villages to be developed into human-carnivore coexistence zone
- Delhi's air quality will likely improve from Sunday evening, says IMD
- Dharmaj Crop IPO
- Reliance Jio
- Digital Nomad Visa
- Whatsapp tips
- Air India crew guidelines
- Mukesh Ambani
- Larget Employers
- Highest Revenue companies
- New Cars in December 2022
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- Maruti Suzuki
- Top Valuable unlisted Company
- Tata Tiago cng vs Alto k10 cng
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World