An American student has been killed in a shooting in the West Bank
An Israeli police commander earlier said that a Palestinian drove along the shoulder of the main road near the Gush Etzion settlement bloc in the West Bank and shot at crawling traffic, killing three people and wounding others.
Jewish Agency spokesperson Avi Mayer confirmed on Twitter that the American, Ezra Schwartz, was a participant in Masa, a program that provides funding for study abroad and gap year programs in Israel.
According to the Israeli newspaper HaAretz, Schwartz had been studying at a yeshiva, or a Jewish religious academy, outside of Jerusalem during a post-high school gap year.
The shooting took place in the Gush Etzion settlement block, a group of communities that lies inside the West Bank and beyond Israel's internationally recognized borders in the mountains just south of Jerusalem.
- Elizabeth Holmes ordered dinners for Theranos staff but made sure they weren't delivered until after 8 p.m. so they worked late: book
- My twin and I were in separate classrooms in school. Our joint math lesson made me realize how silly that was.
- 2,000 years before 'manscaping' and smooth armpits, the Romans were seriously into hair removal, archaeological findings show
- Crude oil prices may hit $100/bbl after OPEC+ decision, say analysts
- Gufi Paintal, who played the ‘Shakuni Mama’ role in Mahabharat, dies at 79
- Sakshi Malik refutes reports she has withdrawn from wrestlers’ protest
- Here’s how urban and rural India is spending every ₹100 they earn
- ChatGPT iOS app vs website — The better experience and why