An American student has been killed in a shooting in the West Bank
An Israeli police commander earlier said that a Palestinian drove along the shoulder of the main road near the Gush Etzion settlement bloc in the West Bank and shot at crawling traffic, killing three people and wounding others.
Jewish Agency spokesperson Avi Mayer confirmed on Twitter that the American, Ezra Schwartz, was a participant in Masa, a program that provides funding for study abroad and gap year programs in Israel.
According to the Israeli newspaper HaAretz, Schwartz had been studying at a yeshiva, or a Jewish religious academy, outside of Jerusalem during a post-high school gap year.
The shooting took place in the Gush Etzion settlement block, a group of communities that lies inside the West Bank and beyond Israel's internationally recognized borders in the mountains just south of Jerusalem.
- RANKED: The world's 20 strongest militaries
- I quit buying from Amazon 4 years ago. I get better deals on products elsewhere but still have to use their services.
- Gen Z faces more pressure at work than previous generations because technology has eliminated work-life boundaries, a psychology professor says
- Enforcement Directorate searches Hiranandani Group premises in Mumbai
- Indian PC market down by 6.6% in 2023, HP leads the market while Acer gains
- India's business activity surges to 7-month high in February
- Snapping 6-day gains, Indian stock indices in red; high valuations a concern
- ED issues look out notice against Byju Raveendran: Sources