An entrepreneur explains how to develop the 'underrated skill' that brought his business millions
Writing well is hard.
The CEO of GrowthLab and I Will Teach You To Be Rich has created a business out of teaching entrepreneurs to be more focused, more efficient, and more productive. Along with free content and resources, his company sells courses and programs to help build a business - and most of them are sold through an email list.
So how do you write to sell?
In a Facebook Live interview with Business Insider, a viewer asked Sethi how to become a better copy writer.
It's "an incredibly underrated skill," Sethi said. "Copy writing has generated millions and millions of dollars for us in our business and for our students."
He explained: "A lot of people don't even know what this is. Copy writing is writing copy, writing words, that move people emotionally." It could move them to cry or to laugh, he continued - "and sometimes it makes them buy."
To become a better copy writer, or a better writer in general, Sethi recommends learning from the best. "Pick five newsletters that are absolutely amazing," along with books and commercials that make you want to buy, he said. Open them. Read them. See what they do and how they do it.
"Take the ideas, close the book, write what you would write, and then open it up and see what the masters do," he said.
He also recommends reading the work of David Ogilvy, the founder of powerhouse firm Ogilvy and Mather, who was known as "the father of advertising": "Ogilvy on Advertising" and "Confessions of an Advertising Man."
And, if you're willing to invest in building your skill, GrowthLab offers "Call to Action," a $997, eight-week course that will overhaul your copy writing skills.
Watch the full Facebook Live »
- Financial inclusion made easy for India’s small merchants with Paytm’s pioneering QR codes and Soundbox
- With Rupay Credit Card on UPI, mobile payments pioneer Paytm deepens its leadership in UPI
- A 24-year-old stock trader who made over $8 million in 2 years shares the 4 indicators he uses as his guides to buy and sell
- 10 Must-Do activities on your next Darjeeling Trip
- Govt received ₹1,70,501 crore in April as revenue
- Shubman Gill, Sunil Narine, Virat Kohli & more: IPL man of the series winners since 2008
- Five personal finance deadlines you can’t afford to miss in June
- List of famous things to buy in Darjeeling