An NHL player threw a 'Superman punch' and the UFC world is in awe
Patrick Smith/Getty Images
- Kevin Bieksa of the Anaheim Ducks threw a "Superman punch" during a fight with Radko Gudas of the Philadelphia Flyers.
- The punch is most often seen during UFC matches, but would seem to be much more difficult on skates.
- The punch ended the fight rather quickly.
On Tuesday night, Kevin Bieksa and Radko Gudas had a hockey fight that will be remembered for some time.
As the first period of the Anaheim Ducks game against the Philadelphia Flyers came to a close, the two players dropped gloves and met close to center ice. After the requisite bit of circling and sizing each other up, the Ducks' Bieksa threw a punch that one would expect to see in the MMA world rather than a hockey arena.
Bieksa raised his back leg in the air and threw a cross body punch with his right hand, landing cleanly and immediately dropping Gudas to the ice.
You can watch the dramatic shot below.
The punch is far from the usual rough-around-the-edges scuffles that hockey fights often devolve into, and Bieksa's form was so clean that it earned praise from the UFC, where the move is known as a "Superman punch" and has produced many memorable knockouts.
UFC President Dana White chimed in to offer his blessing on the punch.
Three-time former UFC Welterweight Champion George St-Pierre, who has been known to use the move throughout his career, also seemed impressed.
Chances are it will be some time before hockey fans see a punch like that land again, but if you have a craving for more Superman punches, George St-Pierre is challenging Michael Bisping for the UFC Middleweight title at UFC 217 in November.
Hockey player throwing and landing a Superman punch on skates. I LOVE IT!!!! pic.twitter.com/G14muSx0gx- Dana White (@danawhite) October 25, 2017
I've thrown the superman punch many ways but would never try it on the ice!!! https://t.co/d7YSe8DTet- Georges St-Pierre (@GeorgesStPierre) October 26, 2017
- No crypto ban in India — SEBI will reportedly be pulled in to regulate the sector
- I wore the same outfit for a week, as part of a productivity hack promoted by Steve Jobs — but it didn't really work. After speaking to psychologists, I'm not surprised.
- Maruti cars to cost you more from January next year
- Dell Latitude 7320 Review — A good-looking compact convertible let down by the keyboard
- SaaS firm RateGain’s IPO opens tomorrow — should you invest?
- Global digital advertising accounted for 64.4% of all advertising in 2021, up from 60.5% in 2020: GroupM report
- After Mercedes-Benz, Audi, Maruti Suzuki, now Tata Motors increases price of its vehicles from January
- 44 key areas, a national framework, and a multi-institutional approach — Here's what you need to know about India's new National Blockchain Strategy