Andy Grove, the legendary ex-CEO of Intel, has died
Anne Knudsen/Getty Images
Intel announced his death in a statement.
"We are deeply saddened by the passing of former Intel Chairman and CEO Andy Grove. Andy made the impossible happen, time and again, and inspired generations of technologists, entrepreneurs, and business leaders," Intel CEO Brian Krzanich said in a statement.
Grove was Intel's very first hire and played an instrumental role in taking the company from a scrappy startup to the most powerful chipmaker in the world. His leadership at Intel spans over 30 years, being named the company's President in 1979 and CEO in 1987.
It was under Grove's watch that Intel formed the famous "Wintel" duopoloy with Microsoft that dominated the PC market. Intel increased annual revenues from $1.9 billion to more than $26 billion under Grove's management.
But it's Grove's relentless work ethic and bruising management style that have earned the respect of many followers. Steve Jobs used to call Grove his mentor, while Marc Andreessen often says Grove's the man who built Silicon Valley. His book, "Only the Paranoid Survive," is still considered a must-read management book by many business leaders.
Here's what people had this to say about Grove's passing:
Andy Grove was one of the giants of the technology world. He loved our country and epitomized America at its best. Rest in peace.
Andy Grove was one of the giants of the technology world. He loved our country and epitomized America at its best. Rest in peace.- Tim Cook (@tim_cook) March 22, 2016
RIP Andy Grove. The best company builder Silicon Valley has ever seen, and likely will ever see.- Marc Andreessen (@pmarca) March 22, 2016
- My fiancé and I picked out my engagement ring together before he proposed, and I don't regret missing out on the surprise
- A 24-year-old stock trader who made over $8 million in 2 years shares the 4 indicators he uses as his guides to buy and sell
- You can buy more Yeezys today, if you can get past the app crashes and error messages
- India’s GDP forecast raised but El Nino, export contraction threats hover
- Choose hybrid vehicles over electric and conventional ones if you actually want to be sustainable, IIT Kanpur study says
- IPL 2023: A look at top players from each franchise
- Dalal Street sees 27-month high inflows from FIIs in May
- Sensex, Nifty50 likely to open in the green amid positive global cues: Coal India, Maruti Suzuki, Hero MotoCorp among stocks to watch