Apple Bloggers Think JCPenney Should Have Given Ron Johnson More Time
John Gruber at Daring Fireball wrote, " they shouldn’t have hired him if they weren’t going to give him more time to turn it around."
Gruber is the most influential Apple writer in the world. He linked to a story by John Moltz, a freelance writer who focuses on technology, and Apple.
Moltz wrote, "You don’t turn around a crappy aircraft carrier full of chinos, Christmas sweaters and cheap curtains in two years. I liked what he was trying. It made me consider going into a JC Penney again."
And Moltz was linking to Matthew Panzarino, an Apple writer for The Next Web, who said, "I think Johnson deserved more time at Penney, he was doing interesting things, it was a long game But what do I know clothes lol"
Then, there's app maker, and part-time blogger Dan Frommer. On his site, he implies the board gave up too quickly. He also thinks Johnson should have done a retail startup.
Johnson joined JC Penney after building Apple's retail empire. As a result, a lot of tech writers were interested in Johnson.
At JC Penney, Johnson was a disaster. Sales dropped 32 percent in the fourth quarter. Dow Jones reports sales will be down 10 percent this quarter. His turnaround wasn't working.
It turns out a big part of the reason Johnson succeeded at Apple is that it's easier to start from scratch then fix a sinking ship — specially when you're selling iPhones and iPads.
- Elizabeth Holmes ordered dinners for Theranos staff but made sure they weren't delivered until after 8 p.m. so they worked late: book
- My twin and I were in separate classrooms in school. Our joint math lesson made me realize how silly that was.
- 2,000 years before 'manscaping' and smooth armpits, the Romans were seriously into hair removal, archaeological findings show
- Crude oil prices may hit $100/bbl after OPEC+ decision, say analysts
- Gufi Paintal, who played the ‘Shakuni Mama’ role in Mahabharat, dies at 79
- Sakshi Malik refutes reports she has withdrawn from wrestlers’ protest
- Here’s how urban and rural India is spending every ₹100 they earn
- ChatGPT iOS app vs website — The better experience and why