Apple is quietly discounting the HomePod - but there's a catch if you want the deal
- Apple sent out individual promo codes to Apple Music subscribers in the UK offering 15% off a HomePod.
- Apple's marketing this holiday season seems to be significantly more discount-focused than in previous years.
- Official HomePod sales figures are not public but some estimates suggest that sales are lackluster.
Apple's marketing department is trying lots of new kinds of promotions this holiday season.
The newest deal may be in your inbox - if you are an Apple Music subscriber who lives in the UK.
9to5Mac and MacRumors are both reporting that Apple is sending emails to certain subscribers with personalized codes offering £50 off of a HomePod, Apple's smart speaker. It typically retails for £319 - so it works out to about a 15% discount.
The deal doesn't seem to have been sent to any Apple Music subscribers in other countries yet. However, retailers like Target have been offering as much as $100 off the $350 HomePod in the United States.
The rare Apple hardware sale comes as the iPhone giant has been increasingly trying new discount-oriented marketing strategies for its devices. Historically, Apple doesn't like to discount its own products from its stores.
Apple's website currently advertises an iPhone XR for "$449*" - but there's an asterisk. That price is only valid if you trade-in an older iPhone in good condition and get the maximum trade-in value. And Apple offered certain discounts for four days over Thanksgiving weekend, another break with tradition.
Apple hasn't said how well the HomePod is selling, but a recent estimate suggested that sales have been sluggish, having sold 700,000 units in the first full quarter it was available earlier this year.
Apple is giving Apple Music subscribers £50 off a HomePod. Check your inbox for an email. pic.twitter.com/SnJQm365LF- BDM Publications (@BDMpubs) December 12, 2018
NOW WATCH: How Singapore solved garbage disposal
- How OnlyFans star Riley Reid plans to 'immortalize' herself using AI
- A leading supplement researcher says she doesn't take any — because she's getting what she needs from her vegan diet
- Mattel rolled out a Barbie to honor a late Cherokee Nation chief with a language error on the box that says 'chicken' instead of 'Cherokee'
- ICC Rankings: Ravi Bishnoi becomes world's No.1 T20I bowler
- Adani Group to invest USD 75 bn to scale up AGEL's RE portfolio to 45 GW: Gautam Adani
- Air India rejigs 250-aircraft Airbus order
- Retail trumps corporate lending as small-ticket loans see fourfold jump in past two years
- Exploring the nutritional marvel of Gond laddu: A winter delight