As Snapchat growth stalls out, Facebook Stories hits 150 million daily active users
When Snapchat launched in 2011, it was a one-of-a-kind messaging app. Seven years later, Snapchat's parent company Snap is facing competition from Facebook, which offers three different apps that mimic Snapchat's flagship features.
View all Offers
- 31% OFF
Apple iPhone XR (64GB) - Black₹ 32999₹ 47900Buy On
- 8% OFF
OnePlus 9R 5G (Lake Blue, 8GB RAM, 128GB Storage)₹ 36999₹ 39999Buy On
Samsung Galaxy M51 (Electric Blue, 6GB RAM, 128GB Storage) 6 Months Free Screen Replacement for Prime₹ 19999₹ 28999Buy On
- 27% OFF
Samsung Galaxy M12 (Blue,4GB RAM, 64GB Storage) 6000 mAh with 8nm Processor | True 48 MP Quad Camera | 90Hz Refresh Rate₹ 9499₹ 12999Buy On
- 18% OFF
Mi 11X 5G (Celestial Silver 6GB RAM 128GB ROM | SD 870 | DisplayMate A+ rated E4 AMOLED | Upto 18 Months No Cost EMI)₹ 27999₹ 33999Buy On
Thanks in part to its controversial redesign, Snapchat user growth has largely flattened out. Meanwhile, Instagram Stories, WhatsApp Status, and Facebook Stories - all Facebook-owned services - continue to grow, as shown by this chart from Statista. In fact, Facebook Stories hit 150 million daily active users in May, putting it within spitting distance of Snapchat's last reported figure of 191 million.
This isn't new to the Snap-Facebook relationship. Facebook launched Instagram Stories, its first Snapchat rival, in 2016, and managed to surpass Snapchat's user count within months. Its second time around with the Stories format was WhatsApp Status, which launched a month before the Snapchat IPO, and the most recent one - Facebook Stories - launched the same month as Snapchat's IPO. Now, Facebook is outstripping Snapchat's growth.
Get the latest Snap stock price here.
NOW WATCH: Why cockroaches are so hard to kill
- WhatsApp won’t work on these phones from November 1: Check the full list
- Shiba Inu hits another all-time-high — now more valuable than Adani Enterprises, Tata Steel and Tech Mahindra
- Shiba Inu is not only bigger than Dogecoin — it’s now bigger than XRP, Polkadot and USD Coin as the seventh-biggest player in the market
- IRCTC will lose a chunk of its revenue to the Indian government starting next month
- EaseMyTrip makes its first acquisition in 13 years to strengthen its hotel offerings
- Portugal''s political fate uncertain after govt budget defeat
- Battlegrounds Mobile India gets Dune-themed rewards in new crossover
- YouTube is the most-used social media platform by influencers in India: AnyTag report