Bad news for fans hoping for a 'Game of Thrones' movie - George R.R. Martin just said it's not happening
Frazer Harrison/Getty Images
Unfortunately, both the news and all cited quotes from author George R.R. Martin appear to be untrue.
The Daily Star quoted a discussion with Martin at an alleged HBO Emmys after-party, saying "there will be a movie but I will not be involved."
By Tuesday, the news was trending on Facebook and many fans were excited to hear the smash hit HBO series would be given even more screen time.
But Martin put an end to the rumor-mongering with a blog post late Monday night.
Martin uses the old-school blogging platform LiveJournal to regularly update his followers. One fan asked Martin about the movie news in his comment section.
The author responded: "...Completely false. No one is working on any movie just now. And if there was a movie, it would not be about Robert's Rebellion."
Martin's dedicated followers took to Twitter in order to shut down continued discussion.
Elio and Linda are a duo of superfans who helped write "A World of Ice and Fire" alongside George R.R. Martin after impressing him with their knowledge of the books. Their tweet referred to "shameless tabloids" and "fake quotes."
On Wednesday morning, some fan sites were still putting out fires as the news continued to circulate through Facebook and Twitter.
Reminder that any articles about a Game of Thrones movie you see currently are based on fake quotes from George R.R. Martin.- Watchers on the Wall (@WatchersOTWall) September 30, 2015
We've reached out to HBO for comment, and will update this post if we hear back.
- A college is removing its vending machines after a student discovered they were using facial-recognition technology
- 11 states pay more in federal taxes than they get back - here's how every state fares
- Steve Jobs once said the best managers are 'individual contributors' who aren't interested in managing people
- DGCA fines Air India ₹30 lakh after elderly passenger's death at Mumbai airport
- Oppo F25 Pro with a 32MP selfie camera launched starting at ₹23,999
- JG Chemicals' ₹251-crore IPO to open on March 5, price band at ₹210-221/sh
- Once in a leaping blue moon: Leap day babies don birthday hats after four-year wait
- Man can't be held guilty for abetment of wife's suicide unless cogent evidence exists: SC