Barack Obama Gave Netflix A Giant Endorsement Last Night
How cool is this for Netflix? The President of the United States tweeted out that he can't wait to watch the second season of its original series, "House Of Cards."
Tomorrow: @HouseOfCards. No spoilers, please.- Barack Obama (@BarackObama) February 13, 2014
House of Cards was Netflix's first big bold bet on original shows. It outbid HBO to win the rights to the show.
It was no guarantee. Nothing in TV is. But, it worked out. House of Cards has been a smash hit. At the time Netflix won the rights to House of Cards, its stock was at ~$246. It crashed a few months later, down to ~$58. Today it's at $436, thanks in part to the success of shows like House of Cards
In technology and media, there's this weird sensation of change happening really quickly, and really slowly at the same time. Netflix has been evolving for years, but the success of House of Cards feels very sudden. Three years ago, Netflix had very little original programming. Now it has a lineup that rivals HBO.
Netflix is an amazing, and disruptive company. It is really the first company to successfully do web-only TV programming. Just about every other company that tried before Netflix failed.
- JPMorgan's Jamie Dimon says he isn't afraid of China, but would leave if the US government told him to
- Charlie Munger once said he and Warren Buffett weren't interested in emulating Elon Musk: 'We don't want that much failure'
- Instagram's crisis highlights the bigger issues the entire ad industry is facing
- Tax implications on income of a minor – What every parent should know
- Top 10 foods that aid in lowering cholesterol
- Blockchain and Cryptocurrency
- From hospitality to financial services – Top 10 industries for new startups in India
- The best apps and games of 2023, as per Apple