Beijing gives Pakistan its backing amid rising Kashmir tensions
- The two countries are ‘all-weather’ partners with a rock-solid relationship, Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi says
- Balancing India’s influence and promoting the Beijing-funded China-Pakistan Economic Corridor are among their common interests.
“No matter how the situation in the region changes, China will firmly support the Pakistani side in safeguarding sovereignty, dignity and territorial integrity,” Wang, who began a four-day trip to Pakistan and Nepal on Saturday, was quoted as saying.
“[China] firmly supports the Pakistani government in achieving national stability and development and prosperity, and firmly supports Pakistan to play a more constructive role in regional and international affairs,” Wang said, referring to the two countries as “all-weather strategic partners” with “rock-solid” relations.
AdvertisementWang’s comments come amid fresh tensions between Islamabad and New Delhi over Kashmir. India for the United Nations Security Council to hold “closed consultations” on the revoking of the state’s autonomy. India is also involved in the Indo-Pacific strategy led by the United States, which Beijing views as a containment strategy to hinder China’s military expansion.
Wang stressed that China and Pakistan should cooperate to secure their common economic interests.
“The China-Pakistan Economic Corridor [CPEC] is a long-term development plan for Pakistan,” Wang said. “The Pakistani military has made unremitting efforts in corridor construction, especially security.”
The corridor, a US$62 billion China-funded infrastructure project, is facing scrutiny in Pakistan over suggestions that it has left the country in a debt trap and is designed to serve China’s political agenda.
There have also been security concerns surrounding CPEC projects. In May, gunmen attacked a luxury hotel in the Pakistani port city Gwadar, the hub of a multibillion-dollar Chinese infrastructure project. A regional separatist group, the Baluch Liberation Army, claimed responsibility for the attack.
Elsewhere, the China Construction Third Engineering Bureau –a state-owned company that works on the Peshawar-Karachi motorway, a key CPEC project – has previously told Chinese media that around 3,500 security personnel were employed to protect about 1,000 Chinese workers and 19,000 Pakistani employees.
“The current regional and international situation is undergoing a complex evolution,” Bajwa said. “I am grateful to China for its strong support to Pakistan during this crucial period.
“I believe that with the help of China, the Pakistani side will be able to overcome difficulties, overcome challenges and achieve greater development. The Pakistani side regards the construction of the economic corridor in Pakistan and China as an important opportunity for national development and will work with China to promote cooperation.”
Wang met Pakistani President Arif Alvi at the presidential palace in Islamabad, with the pair pledging to work together on anti-terrorism measures and economic cooperation. He also held talks with Pakistani Prime Minister Imran Khan and Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi.
Wang had been due to visit New Delhi on September 9-10 for talks with Indian National Security Adviser Ajit Doval, but Beijing cancelled the meeting, according to Indian media.
Popular on BI
- Cisco says a company 'leader' who encouraged TikTok followers to report strippers to the IRS is no longer employed at the company
- Cryptocurrency investment 101 — here’s how to do your own research (DYOR) and invest in the right digital asset
- Realme GT Neo 2 5G review: Great performance, fine display but camera needs work
- G7 leaders favour CBDCs provided they ‘support and do no harm’ to central banks
- India's farmers protest takes a gruesome turn with a chilling murder at the scene — here’s the sequence of events
- Bizarre! Shubhman Gill was brought back to bat after being declared out
- Ruturaj Gaikwad and Faf du Plessis — amazing data on how the two openers led CSK to IPL 2021 championship
- Budget and safety top criteria for Chennai households during festive season:LocalCircles
- India T20 World cup Jersey
- Photo Editors Apps
- Advantage Club Hiring
- Best Indian Companies
- Dussehra Messages
- Punit Goenka
- Motorola Edge 20 Mobile
- Google TV stick vs Amazon Fire TV stick
- Oneplus 9rt smartphone
- Samsung Galaxy M52 review
- Nykaa IPO
- India Coal Crisis
- iPhone 13 vs iPhone 13 mini
- IRCTC Share price
- Maximum Sixes
- Tata Sons