Black Friday spending soared to record highs - here were the top sellers at Walmart, Costco, Best Buy, and more
George Frey/Getty Images
- Black Friday spending soared to $23 billion this year, according to Mastercard.
- The most popular purchases at Walmart, Target, Costco, Best Buy, and Sam's Club included socks, iPads, pillows, and televisions, according to an analysis of more than 50,000 receipts.
Black Friday spending soared to record highs this year.
Shoppers spent an estimated $23 billion overall in stores and online during the 24-hour day spending blitz, according to Mastercard. That's up 9% from last year.
Much of the spending growth came from online purchases, which rose an eye-popping 24% over last year, to a record high of $6.22 billion, according to Adobe Analytics.
So what is all this money being spent on?
Mostly pillows, iPads, and flat-screen televisions, according to the data firm Numerator, which identified the most popular Black Friday purchases from an analysis of more than 50,000 receipts from Walmart, Target, Best Buy, Costco, and Sam's Club.
Here are the top items sold by each retailer in terms of dollar sales:
Walmart: 65-inch Sharp Roku Smart LED television
Best Buy: 55-inch Samsung Smart LED TV
Sam's Club: Bamboo-Polyfill Pillows, Jumbo 2-pack by Essence of Bamboo
Costco: Bose headphones
- World Heart Day: What treatments cost across top Indian cities and how to stay covered
- World Heart Day delights: Yoga, exercise, and heart-healthy living
- TCS retains No 1 spot as India’s top brand but tech sector takes a hit
- Brewing capital: Third Wave Coffee raises Series C funding with participation from existing investors
- Asian Paints' non-executive director Ashwin Dani passes away