'Black Mirror' season 5 is reportedly coming to Netflix this year, and it could include a choose-your-own-adventure episode
- "Black Mirror" season 5 is expected to come to Netflix in December, according to a new Bloomberg report.
- Netflix is also developing interactive specials where viewers can choose the next storyline in a show or movie, according to the report.
- One of these "choose-your-own-adventure" programs could be an episode of "Black Mirror."
"Black Mirror" could be returning sooner than expected. According to Bloomberg, which cites anonymous sources, the fifth season of the hit sci-fi anthology series is expected to come to Netflix in December.
Furthermore, Bloomberg reports that the streaming company is developing "choose-your-own-adventure"-like specials, which would allow viewers to choose the next storyline in a TV episode or movie. According to the report, the first of these specials could be a season 5 episode of "Black Mirror."
When asked for comment, a Netflix representative wrote in an email that, "You have the ability to choose your own response from Netflix," linking to both a Netflix logo and a YouTube video of 10 hours of crickets chirping.
It's no secret that Netflix has developed a reputation for being a media disrupter. It's revolutionized how people consume television while also purposely moving into producing its own shows and movies - it's premiered a number of Oscar-caliber movies at film festivals this year, most notably Alfonso Cuarón's "Roma." Could interactive storytelling be one more way the streaming service tries to disrupt the status quo?
It's not a new idea - as Bloomberg points out, Netflix has already experimented with interactive television in animated children's programs, and HBO explored the storytelling technique with its Steven Soderbergh-directed series "Mosaic." But Netflix wants to make the experience mainstream, and Bloomberg implies that Netflix's upcoming "Minecraft" series, based on the popular video game, would be interactive.
"Black Mirror" is coming off an award-winning fourth season, as the episode "USS Callister" won the Emmy award for Outstanding Television Movie last month.
NOW WATCH: How fake weather is made for TV and movies
- With Rupay Credit Card on UPI, mobile payments pioneer Paytm deepens its leadership in UPI
- Financial inclusion made easy for India’s small merchants with Paytm’s pioneering QR codes and Soundbox
- A 24-year-old stock trader who made over $8 million in 2 years shares the 4 indicators he uses as his guides to buy and sell
- Highest strike rate in IPL 2023: Rahane beats Jaiswal; SKY only Indian in top four
- Godrej Group arm to invest ₹100 crore to acquire material handling equipment to be rented out
- These are must to do activities in Lonavala on your next visit
- Inox Wind gets 150-MW wind energy project from NTPCREL
- RBI’s gold holdings jump over 17% to a whopping ₹2,30,734 crore