British company develops the first-ever tractor that runs completely on cow dung
Image credits- cnhindustrial
- The 270bhp tractor runs on fuel captured from cow dung.
- Cow dung is treated, compressed, and turned into low-emission fuel using a processing unit.
- The tractor can reduce carbon dioxide emissions from 2,500 to 500 tonnes a year.
AdvertisementCow waste or cow dung has been traditionally used as a crop fertilizer for decades because of its organic content. But now, a British company has created a ‘New Holland T7’ tractor that runs on cow dung. This tractor could be a game changer in the green energy-striving agriculture industry.
Agricultural company CNHA Industrial partnered with
How does it work?
It works by collecting waste by-products from cows into a biomethane storage unit. The cow waste product releases a gas known as fugitive methane that is then treated, compressed, and turned into the low emission fuel using a processing unit.
The cryogenic tank fitted on the tractor keeps the methane in liquid form at -162 degrees giving the tractor significant power and emission savings. Furthermore, methane can be transported similarly to diesel using the cryogenic storage tank.
Bennamann’s patented non-venting cryogenic storage tank.
The machine is developed by the Cornish company Bennamann, which has been researching and developing biomethane products for decades.
The tractor was put in a pilot run on a farm in
This new fuel technology will be scalable and affordable energy option for farmers. It will also provide new opportunities and revenue models to monetize cattle by-waste products. Other than this, it will open doors for using 100% natural fertilizers and converting excess methane into electricity that can be used to power farms in remote and rural areas.
Mercedes, Honda, BMW and others showcase some exciting car tech at the CES 2023 — these are our favorites
AdvertisementFor the first time in history, an AI bot will reportedly defend a human in court
Popular on BI
- Ready to introduce same-day settlement of trades by March 2024: Sebi chief
- Grok AI chatbot to reach all English-language users in about a week: Musk
- What are the two climate declarations India has been hesitant to sign at COP28?
- This 400-million-year-old fossil is the oldest disease-causing fungus we've ever seen!
- 10 Best places to visit in India for New Year 2024