Maruti Suzuki sales rise 10% in May as SUV sales make a turnaround
- Anaemic demand for small cars and a slippage in exports weighed on total sales in May.
- Utility vehicle sales rose 65% to 46,243 units as against 28,051 vehicles in the year-ago month.
- Exports declined 3% to 26,477 units as against 27,191 units last year.
AdvertisementThe country's largest carmaker Maruti Suzuki India on Thursday reported a 10% rise in total sales at 1,78,083 units for May driven by a robust demand for utility vehicles in the domestic market. Anaemic demand for small cars and a slippage in exports weighed on total sales.
“The shortage of electronic components had a minor impact on the production of vehicles. The Company took all possible measures to minimise the impact,” it said in a statement to the stock exchange.
In May, the company's domestic sales rose 13% to 1,51,606 units as against 1,34,222 units a year earlier. Total domestic passenger vehicle sales jumped 15% to 1,43,708 units as compared with 1,24,474 units in the same month last year.
Utility vehicle sales, including Brezza, Grand Vitara and Ertiga, rose 65% to 46,243 units as against 28,051 vehicles in the year-ago month, Maruti said in a statement.
In April, Maruti had said it is looking to sell nearly half a million SUVs in the current fiscal 2023-2024 to notch up the top slot in the country's fast-growing SUV segment. It’s eyeing a market share of 45% in SUVs by end of FY24, up from 41% in FY23.
Small cars, exports drop
In May, sales of mini cars that include Alto and S-Presso models, dropped 30% to 12,236 units as compared with 17,408 units in the year-ago period.
Compact car sales, including models such as Swift, Celerio, Ignis, Baleno and Dzire, increased 5% to 71,419 units as against 67,947 units in May 2022.
Sales of mid-sized sedan Ciaz rose to 992 units from 586 units in the year-ago period.
Exports declined 3% to 26,477 units as against 27,191 units in the corresponding month last year, the company said.
Maruti Suzuki May 2023 sales
|Category||May 2023||May 2022|
|Mini + Compact Segment||83,655||85,355|
|Total Passenger Cars||84,647||85,941|
|Total Domestic Passenger Vehicle Sales (PV)||143,708||124,474|
|Total Domestic Sales (PV+LCV+OEM)||151,606||134,222|
|Total Export Sales||26,477||27,191|
|Total Sales (Total Domestic + Export)||178,083||161,413|
Source: Company statement
Louis Vuitton's fall is Elon Musk's gain — Tesla owner reclaims top spot in richest list
White collar hiring activity flat in May, IT sector's woes continue: Report
Popular on BI
- 10 Beautiful staycation options in Mumbai
- Reliance Retail receives full subscription amount of Rs 2,069.50 cr from KKR, allots 1.71 cr shares
- As inflation continues to remain high, RBI likely to keep interest rates unchanged
- 10 Beautiful staycation options in Bangalore
- Micron begins construction on $2.7 bn India semiconductor plant in 'epic' beginning