M&M Q4 standalone net profit rises 22% YoY to ₹1,549 crore, misses estimates
- Auto major Mahindra & Mahindra on Friday reported a 22% YoY increase in Q4 standalone net profit to ₹1,549 crore
- The company’s total volumes reached 1.1 million in FY23, increasing 35% from FY22.
- M&M further cemented its lead position in terms of revenue market share in the SUV segment, and said the demand momentum in SUVs is strong with open orders of 2.92 lakh units as of May 1.
AdvertisementAuto major Mahindra & Mahindra on Friday reported a 22% year-on-year (YoY) increase in Q4 standalone net profit to ₹1,549 crore, falling short of analyst estimates. For FY23, net profit grew 34.5% to ₹6,549 crore from ₹4,870 crore in FY22, thanks to higher volumes and cooling inflation.
M&M’s standalone revenue in Q4 grew 31% YoY to ₹22,571 crore, beating analyst estimates of ₹21,899 crore. For FY23, its revenue grew 47% to ₹84,960 crore.
“Operational profits improved significantly, as a result of volume growth, timely pricing actions, easing commodity inflation and stringent control over fixed costs,” the company said in its exchange filing.
However, the lower share of farm equipment in total volumes during FY23 resulted in a decline in net margins, which fell to 7.7% from 8.4% in FY22.
"It has been a blockbuster year for the group. Auto led the way with record-breaking launches, as we regained the #1 position for SUV revenue market share. LCVs, farm equipment, and electric 3-wheelers continue to strengthen our leadership position," said M&M chief executive officer and managing director Anish Shah.
Volumes surge across the board
M&M’s volume growth during Q4 was driven by the farm equipment segment, with tractor sales recording a 24% YoY growth to 89,128 units. On a full-year basis, both the automotive as well as farm equipment segments hit their respective all-time highs at 6.98 lakh units and 4.04 lakh units, respectively.
Overall, M&M’s total volumes surged 35% in FY23 to 1.1 million units, from 8.17 lakh units in FY22.
Driving the growth in the automotive segment were “successful mega launches”, the company said in a post-earnings press conference.
M&M also expanded its dominance in the sports utility vehicle (SUV) segment, increasing its revenue market share by 170 basis points YoY to 19.6%.
AdvertisementIt said that the open bookings of its SUVs stood at 2.92 lakh as on May 1, further underlining its leadership position in this segment and also the strong demand momentum.
The company also declared a dividend of ₹16.25 per share. Its shares closed 0.3% higher on Friday, at ₹1,282 apiece.
M&M’s Q4 and FY23 standalone numbers:
|Particulars||FY23||FY22||Q4 FY23||Q4 FY22|
|Revenue||₹84,960 cr||₹57,787 cr||₹22,571 cr||₹17,238 cr|
|Net profit||₹6,549 cr||₹4,870 cr||₹1,549 cr||₹1,269 cr|
|Volume – automotive (units)||698456||465601||189227||155906|
|Volume – farm equipment (units)||403981||350981||89128||72058|
|Total volume (units)||1102437||816582||278355||227964|
Source: Company reports
Airtel, not Jio, to gain the most from Vodafone Idea's troubles
LIC shares surge over 3% after it posts a five-fold jump in Q4 net profit
Big boys drive Nifty50’s revenue and profit growth in FY23
Popular on BI
- Elizabeth Holmes ordered dinners for Theranos staff but made sure they weren't delivered until after 8 p.m. so they worked late: book
- 2,000 years before 'manscaping' and smooth armpits, the Romans were seriously into hair removal, archaeological findings show
- Some people are apparently ditching their iPhones for a foldable Razr model. Yes, the kind that was popular 20 years ago.
- Indian homes expected to make half their payments digitally in 3 years
- Vision Pro to iOS 17: Apple’s top six announcements at WWDC 2023
- New Apple iOS: If you have these devices, it might be time to upgrade
- Here’s how to download and install iOS 17 developer beta on your iPhone
- Adani Group repays loans worth $2.65 bn to complete prepayment programme