Tata Motors sees a decline in sales for 14 months in a row
Tata Motorsreported a 13% decline in its December domestic sales volumes.
- It had last seen a rise in domestic sales in October 2018.
TataMotors has not yet transitioned to BSVIvehicles, while Maruti Suzukialready has several models in the market.
AdvertisementTata Motors reported a 13% decline in its December domestic sales volumes, failing to bring in any year-end cheer. The auto manufacturer last reported a rise in domestic sales in October 2018.
Tata Motors has not yet transitioned to BSVI vehicles which will turn mandatory in April 2020. Its peers like Maruti Suzuki already have several models in the market. In December, Maruti Suzuki’s sales went up by 2.4%.
Tata Motors maintains that their focus in December was to drive retail and minimise network stock to facilitate the BSVI transition.
“Having almost completed our planned production and despatches of BS IV, we will start moving to BS VI production and despatches from January and step up our volumes in the coming months,” said Mayank Pareek, president of passenger vehicles business unit, Tata Motors.
The company planned a slew of launches this year – not just BSVI models but also electric vehicles – and is hopeful that will ring in sales.
“Enquiries continued to increase gradually, with fleet owners realizing the economic benefits of replacement of their older vehicles now. Increasing enquiries and lower stocks augur well for future volumes and realisation, early indication of which can be seen in December,” said Girish Wagh, president of commercial vehicles business unit, Tata Motors.
Jaguar Land Rover is staring at a sales ‘hattrick’ it didn’t want
Popular on BI
- Five planets will stage a rare spectacular event in the night sky on March 28
- Sam Altman, who was already wealthy before starting OpenAI, reportedly doesn't own any equity in the company behind ChatGPT
- A 'hole' 30 times Earth's size has spread across the sun, blasting solar winds that'll hit our planet by end of this week
- Microsoft adds 'AI-generated stories' to its Bing search
- Housing sales up 14% annually in Jan-Mar to 1.13 lakh units across top 7 cities: Anarock
- ISRO launches India's largest LVM3 rocket from Sriharikota
- RevFin targets financing 20 lakh electric vehicles in next 5 years
- Torrent Investments not to participate in 2nd auction for Reliance Capital; Hinduja sole bidder