Tata Motors sees a decline in sales for 14 months in a row
Tata Motorsreported a 13% decline in its December domestic sales volumes.
- It had last seen a rise in domestic sales in October 2018.
TataMotors has not yet transitioned to BSVIvehicles, while Maruti Suzukialready has several models in the market.
AdvertisementTata Motors reported a 13% decline in its December domestic sales volumes, failing to bring in any year-end cheer. The auto manufacturer last reported a rise in domestic sales in October 2018.
Tata Motors has not yet transitioned to BSVI vehicles which will turn mandatory in April 2020. Its peers like Maruti Suzuki already have several models in the market. In December, Maruti Suzuki’s sales went up by 2.4%.
Tata Motors maintains that their focus in December was to drive retail and minimise network stock to facilitate the BSVI transition.
“Having almost completed our planned production and despatches of BS IV, we will start moving to BS VI production and despatches from January and step up our volumes in the coming months,” said Mayank Pareek, president of passenger vehicles business unit, Tata Motors.
The company planned a slew of launches this year – not just BSVI models but also electric vehicles – and is hopeful that will ring in sales.
“Enquiries continued to increase gradually, with fleet owners realizing the economic benefits of replacement of their older vehicles now. Increasing enquiries and lower stocks augur well for future volumes and realisation, early indication of which can be seen in December,” said Girish Wagh, president of commercial vehicles business unit, Tata Motors.
Jaguar Land Rover is staring at a sales ‘hattrick’ it didn’t want
Popular on BI
- Best HP laptop in India 2022: Which one is for you?
- Towards 'zero hunger': Odisha tops 'State Ranking Index' first under under National Food Security Act; UP, Andhra, and Gujarat also score high
- Best face creams and lotions for men in India
- Monsoon rain wreaks havoc in Himachal and Karnataka, orange alert in Gujarat
- Apple’s MacBook Air with M2 chip will go on sale from July 15, pre-orders starting July 8