Tata Sons reportedly wins bid to takeover the ‘Maharaja’
- The government has reportedly accepted Tata Group’s proposal to acquire debt-laden state run airline Air India.
- Reports had said that SpiceJet founder Ajay Singh was also among the bidders.
- Tatas may now get control of 4,400 domestic and 1,800 international landing and parking slots at domestic airports as well as 900 slots at airports overseas.
SpiceJet founder Ajay Singh was also among the bidders, as per reports. Business Insider has reached out to Tata Sons for comments. We will be updating the story if and when we receive a response.
Later in the day, the government came out with a clarification saying ‘media reports indicating approval of financial bids by government of India in the
Media reports indicating approval of financial bids by Government of India in the AI disinvestment case are incorrect. Media will be informed of the Government decision as and when it is taken. pic.twitter.com/PVMgJdDixS— Secretary, DIPAM (@SecyDIPAM) October 1, 2021
The stake sale process in Air India faced several delays due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Reportedly, in April this year, the government asked potential bidders to put in financial bids. The last day for placing financial bids was September 15.
Tatas may now get control of 4,400 domestic and 1,800 international landing and parking slots at domestic airports as well as 900 slots at airports overseas.
Interestingly, the airline was founded by J. R. D. Tata, the late former chairman of the Tata Group, as Tata Airlines in 1932.
Air India will be an addition to the Tata Group’s airline business as they are already operating Vistara airlines, a joint venture with Singapore Airlines.
SEE ALSO: Ritesh Agarwal-led OYO files preliminary papers for its $1.2 billion IPO
Paras Defence, Maruti Suzuki, Airtel, Vodafone Idea and other top stocks to watch out for on October 1
Paras Defence & Space Tech IPO continues to demand a premium of ₹200 in grey market
- Facebook and Microsoft aren’t the only ones creating a metaverse — here are five popular coins looking to create digital worlds
- Loaded Lion NFT sells for $1 million — three days after launching at $200
- Qatar Airways says it is not accepting passengers on its flights from 2 African nations immediately due to the new Omicron variant
- Mukesh Ambani-led Reliance Jio hikes prices of its plans by 21%
- Facebook, Microsoft and others look towards the $1 trillion dollar ‘metaverse’ opportunity — but that contradicts the base philosophy behind Web 3.0
- Paytm Q2 result — Operational revenue crosses ₹1000 crore, loss widens by ₹37 crore
- These Indian states have the highest number of international airports; UP tops the list
- Centre raises Bengal labour budget for creation of 27 cr man-days