If you thought techies got the biggest hikes last year, think again...
Photo by Smartworks Coworking on Unsplash
- Total employee cost among the top 500 Indian companies skyrocketed to a whopping ₹10.8 lakh crore in 2022.
- The technology sector contributed half — or about ₹552 crore — of this ₹1.2 lakh crore increase in employee expenses.
- Overall, five out of every ten rupees spent on employee cost was spent by the BFSI and technology sectors.
Notably, the brokerage only considered the spending of 470 companies, instead of 500 — those which had a 10-year history.
The technology sector contributed half — or about ₹552 crore — of this ₹1.2 lakh crore increase in employee expenses. The demand for tech talent and hence their salaries grew multifold last year.
Ola founder and CEO Bhavish Agarwal took a dig at the
Even Amrish Rau, CEO of Pine Labs, highlighted that the salary expectations were at an all-time high last year as they were getting ‘amazing offers’. The expected salary hike ranged anywhere between 30-80%, most of them being in the higher range above 60%, as per specialized staffing firm Xpheno.
Technology sector still fell short
In spite of the comments and memes, the technology sector was not the biggest reason behind the increase of overall employee expense costs. The sector which won the top spot is non-banking financial companies or NBFCs.
According to the Motilal Oswal report, employee expenses increased by 23% in the NBFC sector that falls under the banking, financial services and insurance or BFSI sector. For the technology industry, the number lingered at 19%.
While the tech hiring and salaries did pick up in 2021, the banking and financial services sector never really saw a dull time in the last two years due to good credit growth, eased interest rates and more.
AdvertisementFour Indian banks — SBI, HDFC Bank, ICICI Bank and Axis Bank— and finance company HDFC even made it to the list of top ten Indian firms in the Forbes Global 2000 list earlier this year due to their performance last year.
Remember to tip your waiter, there is no more service charge on your bill
A company vows to turn our travels, weddings, and food carbon neutral! Bags a million dollars
4 out of 5 traders go slow on cryptocurrency investments after new crypto tax – WazirX
Popular on BI
- Elon Musk calls on all Twitter designers, engineers doing software to sit on his floor of HQ for 'dense and intense' work
- It’s not just Mercedes, even bank deposits are competing with equities
- A former Facebook exec says an employee at a 'large tech company' once complained to the CEO in an all-hands meeting about the quality of company toilet paper
- Thai e-Visa on-arrival applications from India increased seven fold in 2022
- Long Covid linked with increased body weight : Study
- RBI’s digital rupee: All you need to know about the virtual currency in the works
- India's mfg PMI hits 3-month high in Nov amid expansion in production, slowdown in inflation: S&P
- 25,703 people living with HIV in Assam: ASACS