If you thought techies got the biggest hikes last year, think again...
Photo by Smartworks Coworking on Unsplash
- Total employee cost among the top 500 Indian companies skyrocketed to a whopping ₹10.8 lakh crore in 2022.
- The technology sector contributed half — or about ₹552 crore — of this ₹1.2 lakh crore increase in employee expenses.
- Overall, five out of every ten rupees spent on employee cost was spent by the BFSI and technology sectors.
Notably, the brokerage only considered the spending of 470 companies, instead of 500 — those which had a 10-year history.
The technology sector contributed half — or about ₹552 crore — of this ₹1.2 lakh crore increase in employee expenses. The demand for tech talent and hence their salaries grew multifold last year.
Ola founder and CEO Bhavish Agarwal took a dig at the
Even Amrish Rau, CEO of Pine Labs, highlighted that the salary expectations were at an all-time high last year as they were getting ‘amazing offers’. The expected salary hike ranged anywhere between 30-80%, most of them being in the higher range above 60%, as per specialized staffing firm Xpheno.
Technology sector still fell short
In spite of the comments and memes, the technology sector was not the biggest reason behind the increase of overall employee expense costs. The sector which won the top spot is non-banking financial companies or NBFCs.
According to the Motilal Oswal report, employee expenses increased by 23% in the NBFC sector that falls under the banking, financial services and insurance or BFSI sector. For the technology industry, the number lingered at 19%.
While the tech hiring and salaries did pick up in 2021, the banking and financial services sector never really saw a dull time in the last two years due to good credit growth, eased interest rates and more.
AdvertisementFour Indian banks — SBI, HDFC Bank, ICICI Bank and Axis Bank— and finance company HDFC even made it to the list of top ten Indian firms in the Forbes Global 2000 list earlier this year due to their performance last year.
Remember to tip your waiter, there is no more service charge on your bill
A company vows to turn our travels, weddings, and food carbon neutral! Bags a million dollars
4 out of 5 traders go slow on cryptocurrency investments after new crypto tax – WazirX
Popular on BI
- Life and times of Rakesh Jhunjhunwala — the man behind the trader
- DOJ officials were alarmed by surveillance footage of the Mar-a-Lago room where classified info was being stored, report says
- Meet Judge Bruce Reinhart the magistrate who approved the FBI search warrant into Trump's Mar-a-Lago home receiving threats from MAGA supporters
- Transforming retail investing in India: Stocktwits collaborates with industry veteran Shankar Sharma
- Mutual funds tank up on financial services and retail stocks
- Smoking, alcohol and obesity caused 4.4 mn cancer deaths in 2019: Lancet
- Nifty Bank index up over 11% so far this year, BoB outperforms index
- There is a breather from record high inflation, but still above tolerance band: RBI