Mukesh Ambani’s Reliance Jio becomes the largest telco by revenue and subscribers - as industry shows signs of recovery
Reliance Jiois now the leading telecom provider both by revenue as well as subscriber base.
- Vodafone Idea was the biggest loser after 3.6 crore subscribers leave the company.
- The telecom industry is also showing signs of recovery thanks to increasing ARPU and positive regulatory developments.
Reliance Jio has now become the largest telecom service provider in India by revenue and subscriber base. Jio’s gains have come primarily at the cost of Vodafone Idea, which has consistently lost its subscriber share over the last two years.
View all Offers
View all Offers
AmazonBasics High Back Executive Chair (Brown, Leather)₹ 9999₹ 18000Buy On
- 42% OFF
AmazonBasics Steel Zero Gravity Reclining Lounge Portable Chair, Black₹ 3499₹ 6000Buy On
Amazon Brand - Solimo Canes Engineered Wood Queen Bed with Box Storage (Wenge finish)₹ 13449₹ 24000Buy On
Amazon Brand - Solimo Alen 6 Seater Fabric LHS L Shape Sofa Set (Brown)₹ 29999₹ 42000Buy On
Amazon Brand - Solimo Alen 6 Seater Fabric RHS L Shape Sofa Set (Blue)₹ 32999₹ 42000Buy On
Jio cements its place at the top
According to the latest India Ratings report, Jio leads the telecom industry with a share of 34.9% of the total revenue.
According to the latest subscriber data released by the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI), Jio now has 369 million subscribers. Vodafone Idea comes in at second place with 336.2 million, but only after after losing 36 million in November 2019. Airtel has 327.3 million subscribers.
Telecom industry showing signs of recovery
The report also states that the Indian telecom industry is showing signs of recovery. The primary factors for this recovery are the increasing average revenue per user (ARPU) and the continuous growth in the broadband subscriber base.
The company expects the recent tariff hikes to fuel the increase in ARPU for the next few quarters.
The report also cites TRAI’s decision to defer scrapping of Interconnect Usage Charges by one year to January 1, 2021 as a positive development for the telecom industry. This decision will primarily benefit Airtel and Vodafone Idea. Jio has passed on the cost of 0.06 per minute to the users, so it doesn’t have to worry about it anymore, too.
Panicking Vodafone-Idea users are porting to Airtel and Reliance Jio — but that might not be the solution they're looking for
AdvertisementThree reasons why the Indian telecom sector's troubles went from bad to worse in the last 24 hours
Popular on BI
- Amazon Great Republic Day Sale — Best deals and offers on Apple iPhones, iPads, and more
- ‘Extreme fear’ is ruling the crypto markets — is this an opportunity or a warning sign for investors?
- El Salvador's president hits back on Twitter after rating agency Moody's issues warning over its bitcoin buying
- Best deals on hair straighteners, trimmers and other grooming products on Amazon
- Amazon Republic Day Sale 2022 — Best deals and offers on Echo smart speakers, Fire TV Sticks and more
- Two IndiGo planes avert mid-air collision over Bengaluru airport, DGCA to take strict action
- India's tennis star Sania Mirza announces retirement from the sport by the end of 2022 season
- EaseMyTrip launches a new campaign featuring Vijay Raaz and Varun Sharma to promote its full-refund medical policy