Mukesh Ambani’s Reliance Jio becomes the largest telco by revenue and subscribers - as industry shows signs of recovery
Reliance Jiois now the leading telecom provider both by revenue as well as subscriber base.
- Vodafone Idea was the biggest loser after 3.6 crore subscribers leave the company.
- The telecom industry is also showing signs of recovery thanks to increasing ARPU and positive regulatory developments.
AdvertisementReliance Jio has now become the largest telecom service provider in India by revenue and subscriber base. Jio’s gains have come primarily at the cost of Vodafone Idea, which has consistently lost its subscriber share over the last two years.
Jio cements its place at the top
According to the latest India Ratings report, Jio leads the telecom industry with a share of 34.9% of the total revenue.
According to the latest subscriber data released by the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI), Jio now has 369 million subscribers. Vodafone Idea comes in at second place with 336.2 million, but only after after losing 36 million in November 2019. Airtel has 327.3 million subscribers.
Telecom industry showing signs of recovery
The report also states that the Indian telecom industry is showing signs of recovery. The primary factors for this recovery are the increasing average revenue per user (ARPU) and the continuous growth in the broadband subscriber base.
The company expects the recent tariff hikes to fuel the increase in ARPU for the next few quarters.
The report also cites TRAI’s decision to defer scrapping of Interconnect Usage Charges by one year to January 1, 2021 as a positive development for the telecom industry. This decision will primarily benefit Airtel and Vodafone Idea. Jio has passed on the cost of 0.06 per minute to the users, so it doesn’t have to worry about it anymore, too.
Panicking Vodafone-Idea users are porting to Airtel and Reliance Jio — but that might not be the solution they're looking for
Three reasons why the Indian telecom sector's troubles went from bad to worse in the last 24 hours
Popular on BI
- 'Die-hard' Nintendo fan spent over $40,000 buying stock and then asked top executives why the company won't make more of a fan-favorite series
- Mark Zuckerberg told Meta staff he's upping performance goals to get rid of employees who 'shouldn't be here,' report says
- Four-days work week, full and final settlement within 2 days of exit — new changes at workplaces to reflect from July 1
- It’s not the CM seat but the one who wields ‘bow and arrow’ will be the Sena head
- SIMPLY PUT: extreme weather is the new normal in India
- Antonia Wade, PwC's global CMO, tells Insider how B2B spending changes in tough economic times
- Ban on single-use plastic kicks in across India as the country recognises the choking impacts of plastic waste on the environment
- Bank FDs will draw down from mutual funds if interest rates go up to 7.5-8%, says report